Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sleep problems in 4 year old

My daughter has real problems getting to sleep. I have tried everything. She has a nightime routine, I have trying lying next to her, left her to fall asleep herself, shouted at her, reasoned with her, been nice to her. She doesn't play - just lies there for hours. She started school a couple of months ago and also got a new baby brother about the same time. The problems started when I stopped giving her her dummy a couple of months before she started school. I am getting really frustrated as she will fall behind at school (teacher says she is already not finishing her school work) and she is so slow at everything and has lots of tantrums due to tiredness. Any ideas?

Re: Sleep problems in 4 year old

hi carole you know your daughter's case reminds me of my cousin she is 3 years old and has the same proble the only difference is her dummy or any of her toy was not taken away from her it's just that she is having trouble sleepin almost everyday she is up until 1-2 am... i guess you already know why your daughter is acting that was perhaps she have had already established something very personal with her dummy and the moment you took it away from her she felt that something very close to her was gone.. ok let's put it this way probably she looks at her dummy as her sister or a bestfriend. i am not suggesting that you give it back to her there are other solutions like you can consult a psychiatrist about this cause consulting one doesn't imply that there is something wrong with your child we just have to trust those who have the knowledge and capability with this kind of situation.. i hope you'll consider my opinion

Re: Sleep problems in 4 year old

i have 2 daughters one is 6 the other nearly 4 my eldest daughter hates bed ive tried everything the health visitor has recently advised i stay close at bed time .last nite i took her to bed and pottered in my room 20 mins and she was flat out it will nly work if ur child is tired good luck)]