Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: 9 year old son is really mean to his 8 year old sister

my son was most closest with me as a small child,i work at a daycare and he went to work with me when he was little.. my husband has an anxiety disorder, i dunno ifyou know whatthat is, but he takes medication for it and goes to therapy. it is a chemical disorder in his brain, not from something in his past, iknow my son loves my daughter, but like today for instance, it is her birthday and her dad who is at work, called to wish her a happy birthday and my son said while she was on the phone with her father, " i hate rebekah, she thinks she's all that" and i asked him why he would say such a thing and he told me he hated that she was getting a lot of attention.....i sent him to his room to write and essay of what happened and how he felt about the situation and he wrote me a 2 page essay of how much he was sorry for what he had said. So this time it is over, and i feel really good about the way it ended up, he apologized to his sister and they are currently playing together in her room. but he is always saying mean and hurtful things to her and NEVER apologizes to her......and when he was little he would bang his head on things when he got mad at me i took him to the DR and he told me that my son was a very emmotional child and that was how he took out his anger and frustration, well then he stopped doing that and started pulling out his hair when he was mad, then he stopped that and started scratching himmself all over his arms and then he would punch himself in the face and his latest thing is telling me that he wished he was dead......this hurts me sooooo much, i always tell him that i love him and when he does and says these things it hurts me so much and then we hug and things are fine, he is a normal child, he acts normal and has GREAT self-esteem, it just worries me that when he gets so upset he goes to such extremes as these........im so worried that when he grows up he is gonna be one of those people that cuts themselves to relieve anger.........i am going to make an appointment to see a psychiatrist tomorrow morning........thanks for your help

Re: Re: Re: 9 year old son is really mean to his 8 year old sister

Hi Angela,

You want him to take responsibility for his behaviour. You want him to admit when he's wrong and apologise. When I read your answer to me I could not detect this very same attitude in your outlook - I mean your critical analysis was reserved for your son and not you or your partner, or your parents and you. What I am saying is children reflect their parents attitudes and approach to life. Your son is following in dads footsteps and, if the psychiatrist comes up with some medication - bingo - its happend again - your son is medicated for something that is not his responsibility. The source is psychological and emotional - I am pretty sure of that - anxiety is not a chemical - though I guess it turns into one. When mums and dads are willing to look at themselves, their children will reflect that maturity. So if your husband decided it was not only a chemical in his brain but something from his past too, he would have to face things. This facing things is the same thing you want from your son. It is a much less 'physical' way of thinking where we cannot make. Your husband is key I think.
Best wishes - thanks for replying to my relpy
David

Re: Re: Re: Re: 9 year old son is really mean to his 8 year old sister

David,
My husband has GAD or general anxiety disorder, which indeed is a chemical imbalance of the brain, due to the lack of serotonin......I have not taken my son to see a psychiatrist as of yet....he seems to be acting better. And as far as having him medicated, a friend of mine who has a son that she just took to see a psychaiatrist because he has GAD, told me that the Doctor suggested talk therapy since he is so young and she doesnt want him medicated or labeled, he flew right thru the therapy and is now doing so much better. I would never want my child to be medicated, i feel that there are too many children on medicine as it stands,so medicine for my child is incomprehensible to me at this point,ijust feel that he needs to learn some compassion for others (sister included) as well as some kind of anger management. That would really help him. I know some of his behavior is LEARNED behavior from my husband, he tends to blow things out of proportion quite a bit, that is why he is in therapy to learn to control that.
But he is in NO way a violent person, i dont want you to get the wrong idea, violence in my house will not be tolerated, he just gets upset easily which is what i think my son has learned from him.
Thank you for all of your responses.
Angela