Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Help with defiant four year old wetting himself.

THat option has been discussed. The problem with that is that when he stands in front of you and wets himself in defiance, it also goes all over hes feet and the floor.
Unless we cover the floor in slippery polythene to make it waterproof we have to clean it up as soon as we can or the carpet will soon stink of urine.

As for leaving him in bed wet, we have tried that, but he just curls up in a ball at the other end of the bed so hes not on the wet patch, or he comes in and climbs into our bed.

Its not unknown if we leave him there for him to wet there again too.

Re: Re: Re: Help with defiant four year old wetting himself.

Don't know what else to suggest.....my 90 year old father thinks a good spanking each time would stop it, but like I said he is 90; and while I only got one spanking from him when I was 4 years old, it was an experience I did not even think about repeating for more than 15 years. Just the threat was enough to make me change my behavior. Good Luck

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help with defiant four year old wetting himself.

I would agree with the spanking (as I was spanked as a child and I listened) however, a more important thing that I have learned lately is that spanking promotes hitting and so it may help solve your problem now, but you may have much bigger problems if he starts hitting children in school, his brother and sisters, etc. and there are other ways to help solve it that are likely to be more effective without a negitive effect. Have you made sure that he is not affraid to get up and go to the bathroom by him self in the middle of the night? I would make sure the path to the bathroom is well lit and the bathroom as well.