Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
8 YR OLD BEDTIME

PLEASE HELP MY 8 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER TAKES ABOUT 2 HOURS TO GO TO SLEEP.SHE WONT GO TO SLEEP WITHOUT A PARENT WITH HER. WHEN I FINALLY GET HET TO SLEEP, ABOUT A HALF HOUR LATER SHES CRING AT MY BEDROOM DOOR TO SLEEP ON THE FLOOR IN MY ROOM. WHAT CAN I DO TO KEEP HER IN HER BED? SHE ALSO SLEEPS WITH THE LIGHT ON.

Re: 8 YR OLD BEDTIME

Hi, it sounds as if your daughter is feeling a bit scared and lonely in the night and perhaps needs reassurance that you are there with her (if as a baby she was used to you being there then it is understandable she is unhappy about being left on her own at night now). I would suggest that she needs to be slowly weaned from sleeping with you. Begin by addressing the going to bed routine (for an 8 year old (8.00 p.m. is about right).
1. Bath time (also perhaps a warm drink)
2. Pyjamas and bedtime story (nothing scary)
3. Tell her its time to go to sleep, give her a kiss and cuddle and leave the room.
4. When she gets up (and she will) repeat that it is time for sleep give her a kiss tuck her in and leave(go downstairs).
5. If she still gets up this time do not talk or speak to her just gently lead her back to bed and tuck her in then leave.
6. Keep repeating step 5 as many times as you need to, it will be tiring at first and perhaps for a few weeks but the long term goals are worth it. ALWAYS STAY CALM, DO NOT SHOUT OR LET HER KNOW YOU ARE CONCERNED AND WORRIED. DO NOT GIVE IN, You will probably have to repeat this many times at first and will think that it is not working but keep going a few ruined evenings is worth it in the long run.

The same routine from step 3 onwards can be used to put her back to bed in the night, again there is no easy way but if you give in and let her back in to your room to sleep you will be making a 'rod for your own back'.

Also talk to her about what she is scared of and allay any fears she has by discussing it (during the day) If it is something as simple as 'monsters under the bed' then go in to her room and shout at them to go away and never come back. Never underestimate a child's imagination! Very best of luck, hope you get sorted out soon.