Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
bad behaviour at school

Hi
My son is 6.5, the youngest of 3, today his teacher told me he bit a boy because this boy sat on his leg at story time. My son had to sit outside the head teachers office for 30 mins. I was embarrased and shocked how shuould i deal with it. I have said he cant watch tv or play on the computer for 1 week is this right?

Re: bad behaviour at school

If it were me, I would say a week is a little long for this, but...the trouble seems to be that he cannot control his impulses or anger - ie bite someone who sat on his leg. If it were my son I would have him stand in the corner for 1/2 hour each day after school (for 3 days), and have him tell me why he was standing in the corner before and after the 1/2 hour...

Re: Re: bad behaviour at school

Hi
Thanks, for the advice i will try it and see what happens but how can i make him undersatnd he has to be responsible for his own actions? i have 2 older daughters who are very well behaved and we never had these kind of problems, so we dont know how to deal with him.
saida

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

If it were me, I would say a week is a little long for this, but...the trouble seems to be that he cannot control his impulses or anger - ie bite someone who sat on his leg. If it were my son I would have him stand in the corner for 1/2 hour each day after school (for 3 days), and have him tell me why he was standing in the corner before and after the 1/2 hour...

Re: Re: Re: bad behaviour at school

In our home, we have been telling the girls for several years that they have choices every day on how they behave, and that they are responsible for making those choices. It seems like we have at least one discussion each week on this subject. When behavior is outside acceptable limits there are consequences. But we had them help determine (in advance) what the consequences would be in appropriate behavior. When we discuss minor behavior problems with the girls, we talk about how the decisions could have been different (better), and they seem to understand and make necessary corrections. The last major problem was lieing (twice) about two weeks ago, and that got 12 year old grounded for one week for each lie, plus two 1,000 word essays on why lieing was un-acceptable.

Re: Re: Re: Re: bad behaviour at school

are you a head teacher or something i thought lines were a thing of the past?
It sounds like you run a very tight ship, not dissing you by the way if it works then great!

Re: bad behaviour at school

Hi
I have a funny story about lines, i once told my 10 yr old daughter to write lines for being rude, she typed one on the computer and copied and pasted the remaining 99! I did not know to laugh or praise her for using her initiative.
saida