Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
putting baby to sleep on her own

MY 10 months old is used to going to sleep in my bed with me by her side holding her hands. We are planning to have another baby and want her to get to sleep alone in her cot before the next one arrives. I tried sitting in the room with her but she just keeps getting up and looking over the side. I then kept putting her back down each time she got up. I tried for about 2 weeks and failed, I therefore thought that there was something I was not doing right and stopped trying. Any suggestions??

Re: putting baby to sleep on her own

I had exact same problem with my daughter at the same age. With the help of my mum (she kept me strong) We gradually started weaning her off me by doing what you are doing to start with , then gradually moving away from the cot eventually sitting outside the door and then moving downstairs. Yes she still stood up and cried but you could tell she was only wanting attention because every time I walked in to the room she immediately stopped crying! (It took about 3 to 4 weeks). Perservere it is well worth it as and I had no further difficulties at bedtime (shes a beautiful 16 year old now). Good luck !

Re: Re: putting baby to sleep on her own

Thanks Angela, you have given me a boost of confidence and its good to know an approximate time frame. Thanks