Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Angry Boy

Hi there
I am wondering what to do with my 3 yr old son. He is normally very well behaved, but when he does do something, and is sent to time out, he gets very angry and kicks and hits the door and wall and also yells out "I hate you Mummy, I hate you". I dont know how to deal with the seperate issue of kicking the door and him saying that he hates me. I don't want him to think that it is OK to do that.
What do I do? Leave him in time out for longer?
I am usually standing outside holding the door closed so that he cannot get out.
Any ideas would be greatful thanks.

Re: Angry Boy

Hi there, you should only put your son in time out for 3 minutes (one minute for every year of his life). When he kicks off give him a first warning and tell him that if it happens again he will go to 'time out'. Then if he repeats the incident come right down to his level and tell him firmly (do not shout) and calmly that his behaviour is not acceptable, and take him quietly to his 'time out' area, tell him why he is being taken there, do not talk to him while he is in there, if he comes out quietly take him back and keep repeating until he finally sits for the required 3 minutes. Then return to him and ask him quietly if he understands why you put him there, then ask him to say sorry, once he has done this give him a big hug and let him go off to play again. Always go down to his level and look him in the eyes otherwise it is very hard for him to listen to what you are saying he will just be frightened of you.
This technique really does work if you use it properly. Good luck.