Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2 infants, different nap styles

Hi
I'm watching two infants,different families, at one of their homes. One is 6 mo. the other 3mo. One needs to be put to sleep,and the other takes hours to go to sleep, past the point of overtiredness and becomes fussy for the entire time, disturbing the other. I can't let either cry because one of the mom's usually works at the house. She won't have her baby crying.The one staying awake doesn't want to be patted, held, sung to, walked. She will be held if you don't try to put her head down on her shoulder,or lay her in a prone position. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Re: 2 infants, different nap styles

Hi

My heart goes out to you. Having been a childminder for 8 years, there's no way I would have enjoyed my 'job' if the mum had been around - what a nightmare. I would talk with both the mums, preferably together so that you can ask their 'help' to help you make sure that theyre babies are not unsettled. By doing this you are putting the onus back on them. What they really should do is allow you to do this in a way that is least upsetting for the babies but understanding at the same time, there needs to be a routine and discipline over followingthat routine. No mother looks after to kids so close in age, theres usually at least 9 months! The babies both seem to sound that they need to learn how to go to sleep by themselves, peacefully and happily. Otherwise you or their mothers will be digging an early grave. Babies who will not sleep is one thing but toddlers and children are even worse. While they are still so young it will be easier to change their routines now than later. You know what to do in regards to changing their routine and sleep patterns and must have a background in childcare otherwise you would not have been put in this position of caring for 2 babies. They do need to cry for a time while the changes are put into place. Lay them in their cot, they will cry - go in after few minutes, say go to sleep and leave the room, they will cry, go back in after few minutes, say go to sleep etc etc etc. It will take perseverance and commitment on your part and their mothers to ignore the crying. This has to happen sooner rather than later. Is it not possble for you to take them to your house? - it may be easier for their mums. Don't battle against them - its hard to hear your child crying but stand strong and say that this is not fair to the children and it has to be sorted. Good luck.