Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Please help my 9 1/2yr old son

Hi, Thanks for the advice. I do go into school twice a week and help out in class. Thursday I listen to children read and help those children who are struggling. On friday I help out with art which is enjoyable. I find that because I go into help the Teachers come to me with Ryans problems. But this is sometime too much as they only point out his negative behaviour. We as a family a banned the playstation and gamecube, and have been playing family games ie scrabble and monopoly and going back to basic toys like lego. I have also cut out all junk foods and have been doing alot of family meals and baking. So its a cake instead of a bag of crisps. Then at the weekend if things have gone well he is allowed an hour on the cube. But then making sure we do family things together. I never had problems when I was small and I do feel that maybe going back to basics will help. Ryan has enjoyed peeling potatoes and preparing meals with me. I don't think children talk as much as they used to. So Im trying to engage him in conversation, trying to talk about things he interested in. Obviously I don't not talk to my child but I think now days we do tend to let them get on with things rather than joining in with things. Any advice that you can give me further will be much appreciated.