Practical Parenting Advice Online Parenting Course

Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what to do when your child is "uninvited from a birthday party"?

My seven year old daughter was invited to a birthday party this weekend, and the birthday girl told her yesterday that she does not want her there. Needless to say my daughter does not want to go to the party now. What to say to the mother - just simply RSVP "no" and leave it at that? (I have no idea what the circumstances were prior, it could be in response to something that my daughter said/did first! Although my daughter says not.). Or should I tell the parents the reason that she is not coming so that it can be addressed with the birthday girl? (this is not the first time that she has said mean/hurtful things to my daughter, or other children in the neighborhood)

Re: what to do when your child is "uninvited from a birthday party"?

I would simply RSVP as no and leave it at that.

If the birthday child is sometimes a bit unpleasant then maybe it is better if your child does not go.

At the end of the day just be very clear with your daughter that once you have said no, then she cannot change her mind if she wants to go as numbers will have already been agreed with the girs parents.

Kids are up and down with their freindships like yoyo's, so probably next week your daughter will be okay with her. Just really check and double check that she is sure she does not want to go and that she knows she cannot change her mind once you have let the girls parents know. You don't want her getting upset if all her friends are going and she changes her mind at the last minute and of course you have already declined the invite and so then she can't all of a sudden say she's going!