Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
8 year old girls!!!! aaaargh!!!

I have an eight year old who gets really angry, tells me she hates me and refuses to do things that I ask of her....she fits the descriptions of teenage behavior and im scared! Her temper tantrums will last for about half and hour, and then she is fine, completely over it- the problem itself is forgotten...Anyone else suffering through this??? WHAT do you do?

Re: 8 year old girls!!!! aaaargh!!!

Hi Joce, I have four daughters. Two are out of college and one has just been accepted. And then there is number four. She is ten and has had her moments. The "hate me" only happened once, I don't expect it to again.

I don't use physical punishment. I prefer that of consequence. State very clearly what consequence will result from a particular action and then follow through. The biggest mistake parents make is to yell and scream threats and not follow through. I never yell, I calmly explain the consequence, one that I am willing to follow through with, and go from there.

Things like bikes, TV, phone, friends over are all great things to take away for so many days. Just be sure to do it and the behaivor should change.

Dennis with parenting-magic.com