Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
a comment for parents with kids who have seizures

I didn't see any posts about this topic, but thought I'd throw something out there in case someone is looking.

My daughter is very suseptible to febrile seizures. I am epileptic myself (Grand mal seizures unless I'm on medication, which works great). We knew our daughter was at increased risk because of the genetic factor, and were sort of expecting this to happen.

Young children's bodies cannot deal with a sudden increase in body temperature, and a good portion will react by having a seizure. DON"T PANIC!!! Although your child seems completely out of it, there is a very good chance they can hear you. Talk calmly and reassuringly throughout the seizure and after. Hold your child on her side or tummy, head slightly down. This allows any vomit/saliva etc. to drain - so she won't choke. When the seizure stops, she will not be coherent or have motor control. She will be really out of it. Relax. Keep talking to your child, and eventually she will wake up. She may not even be able to focus her eyes, but she's there.

It can be really traumatic watching your child go through this, but I know from exprerience (my own and from watching my daughter) that staying calm is key. Also, unless the child bangs into something, it doesn't hurt, so relax. As soon as possible, take your child's temperature. If it's a febrile seizure, her temp will be up. Get her clothes off, and as soon as she's able, get some tylenol and advil into her. After a seizure, it's a good idea to double up on meds, as fever MUST be controlled. It is important to get that fever down, to prevent another seizure. Don't immerse in cold water it's too shocking. But a warm/cool cloth to the neck, armpits, and groin can help. I've also put my daughter in front of a fan (not an air conditioner), as it helped cool the skin.

A child who has one seizure is more likely to have more. But keep in mind, it's just a reaction to fever. It doesn't mean they are epileptic. Eventually (in years), it could be diagnosed, but that's not the worst thing in the world either - otherwise, you have a beautiful, healthy child!!

This is long and rambling, but it's important to me that parents know what can happen and what they should do. Pray it never happens, but be prepared if it does!! I hope no one ever needs this