Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Terrible two's

Hi, he really is in the 'terrible two's' isn't he?
I think he is just beginning to discover his feelings, and is not sure how to deal with them. If something happens he does not like he does not understand how to express himself and through frustration is shouting, kicking biting etc...
Only way to deal with this is to show him how he should be behaving. Take him by the hand and gently cuddle him, tell him quietly and gently that its okay and give him time to calm down by himself. If he is trying to kick and bite then gently restrain him until he is calm.
It is absolutely no good trying to talk or shout at him when he is like this as he really does not understand.
I would also be looking at his diet to see if there is anything he is eating that may trigger these changes, a lot of sweets and food stuffs are piled high with E numbers and this could be a factor in his behaviour, so make sure you cut them out of his diet. Good luck, I hope he gets through this period quickly for yours and his sake!

Re: Re: Terrible two's

Hi Angela, thanks for responding. My son has gone from a complete and total joy to just impossible. I have cried, yelled, gotten mad, etc. because I feel like it's my fault somehow. I feel guilty for leaving him with my mom because she is 65 years old but I have no other choice. I know that this will pass, but sometimes I feel just helpless. I don't want him to be "that kid" who is the problem child. I want him to return to the sweet, loving little boy he was and is sometimes. I feel so bad for him because I know he doesn't really want to act the way he does.

Re: Re: Re: Terrible two's

Hi Trisha, don't blame yourself most children will go through difficult phases at one stage or another, he is still a baby and the best you can do is be consistent with him. If you say no to him mean it, be firm but calm. Gettting agitated will only make him much worse. Take him back to day care, there should be trained professionals there who should be well able to deal with his behaviour, talk to them and implement a strategy that will work for you, both at daycare and at home. He may be kicking off because he misses you during the day. Don't fall into the trap of buying him presents and special treats just because you are not with him during the day but do make a fuss of him and spend some quality time playing games and reading books with him as much as you can before he goes to bed. Keep smiling your lovely little boy really is still there!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Terrible two's

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. My husband and I both are praying that we are doing the right things with him. We have pledged not to get angry but to deal with him calmly and effectively. We implemented a strategy for when he says "Shut Up" that we tell him to say "Silly goose" instead. I know that he will come out of this phase and we will laugh about it, but right now we are being tested but are determined to pass with flying colors!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Terrible two's

You sound like wonderful parents to me, he is a lucky little boy. take care.

Re: Terrible two's

I honestly don't have any advice, because I think what you are trying to do is the right thing. But I may have some encouraging words. I have a 12 yr old son. When he reached the age of about 2, he got a horrible attitude! He was going through his terrible 2's and it was horrible! I was pretty much raising him on my own at that point (his dad and I split shortly before that and didn't see him much). It was the hardest time of my life and actually made me say I never wanted any more kids. BUT.....I got through it, and I also received a very loving and extremely smart (straight A) child! I did what you are doing now. I dealt with it the best I could and tried to give him ways to vent his anger better.
I now not only have this wonderful 12 yr old, but I also have a 20 month old daughter.
So keep up the good work and try to keep sane! It's not always easy but you will get through it.

Take care!
Roberta