Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grade 1 boy can't seem to speed up!

My 6 year old son is in grade 1 this year and his teacher tells me that he has a hard time finishing his work. That he is almost too careful. He is very smart. He has no trouble actually doing any of the work, just getting it finished without prodding. Also he often does not finish his lunch cause he eats too slow. I can prod him at home but i cant expect his teacher to spend all of her time hurrying him along. Does anyone have a way that I can make him more speedy.

Re: Grade 1 boy can't seem to speed up!

hit him

Re: Grade 1 boy can't seem to speed up!

Don't keep on at him, if you are not careful he will soon become turned off entirely and not want to do the work at all! Try to remember in some countries children do not start school until they are 7, by which time they have all the skills set in place to take off academically. I would praise him for the work he does and the fact that he is clever, but he might find writing very tiring and it may make his arm ache. Try giving him a pencil grip and changing the height of the table he works at. Make sure his feet are on the floor (put books under his feet if necessary. If he holds the pencil very tightly and presses on hard this is most certainly the problem with his writing. Hope this helps good luck.