Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
discrimination against dads?

Hello

I'm currently writing an article about fathers who take an active part in childcare and would love to hear from anyone who has a story to tell or a comment to make.

Are you a father who feels disadvantaged because of your gender? Maybe you've taken to childcare like a duck to water? Or maybe you're a mum with a view about the role of men in childcare?

Any contact is much appreciated, and anonymity can be maintained if you wish.

Many thanks

Hugo

Re: discrimination against dads?

Hello Hugo, my biggest wish is that my children's dads, would take an active role in their lives. It is truly more important than being a financial support. Trust me, when the dad does neither, it is so damaging to the children. My 7 year old suffers immensely because she misses her dad. I keep telling her he loves her, but how long will she truly believe that? When I see fathers spending time with their children, whether it be at school lunches, the park, etc. I commend them. It is such a wonderful thing to see. Have a ggo day.

Re: Re: discrimination against dads?

I have the same problem. I have 3 kids 13, 10 and 7. The eldest boy now accepts it but it still hurts him . Their father telephones once a week but very rarely sees them . I think it would be better if he cant be bothered to see them if he just disappeared altogether rather than flit in and out of their lives as and when. My 7 year old girl asked me if her dad was her real dad because if he was why doesnt he ever see her. The children, especially the boys, miss a male role model in their lives, especially when my father passed away. I know where you are coming from trying to be mum, dad, hold down a job and do everything in the house as well. But console yourself that the kids will think their mum is superwoman when they grow up and everyone else admires anyone, mum or dad, who bring up children alone.