Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
9mo yells

My 9-month-old niece has begun yelling very loudly whenever she wants attention. It happens most often when the adults around her are carrying on a conversation and not directly focusing on her. We have been unsuccessful in finding a way to make her stop -- which becomes particularly troublesome when my sister, who is a single parent, needs to make a phone call or is in a public place like a restaurant. No amount of attention seems to be sufficient and ignoring her doesn't work either. Any suggestions?

Re: 9mo yells

Hi, ignoring your neice is the only way forward, it may seem to take an age before she finally gets the message but beleive me she will. Ensure that when she is quiet she gets lots of positive attention for being 'good' and perservere. My daughter began this at around the same age at bedtime in order to get me back upstairs, with the help of my mum to keep me going it worked and after about a week she finally gave in. Good luck!

Re: 9mo yells

it seems there's a lot of it about :)
my friend clicked her tongue when her daughter started yelling at about the same age as yours. the daughter copied her and started that instead of the yelling.
hope it works, they can be loud can't they :)