Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hitting

My special boy has just turned 18months and for the last month or so has started to hit when he doesn't get his own way. At first he would lift his hand threatening to hit me or his dad and at first, shouting stopped it. This still works with his dad, but he'll hit me up the face and I don't know what we can do. At first I would put him on the floor away from me, but he's doin it now when I need to change his nappy or put his shoes on, and it's not practical all the time to do that. He seems to be getting more daring in hitting me amd he knows it's wrong, though I'm not sure if he understands why. He never sees hitting in our house, so I can't ubderstand why he has started this but lately when he has really belted me, I have hit him on the hand. Not very hard, but enough to make him cry, he knows mummy is angry. I feel so guilty, I know this is not the best way to deal with this. Please somebody help me!!

Re: hitting

It is a phase and probably an attention seeking thing. Just keep saying no we don't hit it hurts, put him down if he hits you, ignore it as much as possible don't give him a big reaction as this will make it worse, when he is a bit older if he is still doing it you could try time outs. Don't hit him back (although I know it can be tempting) as this will just reinforce this type of behaviour.

Good luck and hope it passes quickly

Re: Re: hitting

Rosebud is right when she says it's a phase, but there is one problem with phases, if you allow it to continue it will become the norm.
The main site has plenty of tips, like this one

dealing with tantrums