Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: eating

I agree with the other reply. I have an 8 year old who has always been finicky about what he eats. I took him to Carl's Jr. and got him interested in chicken stars to get him started on chicken nuggets because he didnt even want a happy meal. He already did not eat burgers. I have failed so many times at meal times and was finally encouraged by my pediatrician to let him eat the same ole thing if that was what he wanted as long as it was not junk food all the time. I tolerated alot of mac and cheese. I sang the I got the blues song many times to get him started on that. He saw that other kids ate it so he did too. He is picky, always has been but has turned out to be a 8 year old healthy, not fat but solid as a rock little boy. I am glad I took advice and did not fight that battle, because there are so many others that come up that have to be fought. She'll be just fine.....

Re: eating

I am a healthy 26 year old woman. This may sound hard to believe but from age 18 months to about age 4 I lived on peanut butter toast for breakfast and peanut butter sandwiches for lunch and dinner. I also drank milk with it but that was it and that is no exaggeration. My mother thought I was going to be malnourished or suffer vitamin deficiencies from this inadequate diet. But I turned out okay. I'm not saying your grandchild's diet is good, but don't fret. My parents and grandparents tried making me sit at the table until I ate a meal. It didn't work. I'd sit for an hour or two without taking a bite. All I can remember is having a phobia of real foods especially green vegetables. Finally, my mom bribed me by saying she would buy me a bicycle if I'd eat a piece of meat. It worked! I'm not saying this is the answer. Now I love all foods even spinach! Thankfully, my daughter is a very good eater, but when I want her to eat a green vegetable or something I tell her that Barney eats these and that's how he became so strong and smart! She instantly eats it then, b/c Barney is her idol. The other thing I would suggest is DO NOT give junk food. Only offer real food even if all she eats is a peanut butter sandwich. My parents would never even keep junk food in the house, so we had no choice. But I lived on peanut butter for about 3 or 4 years. It is popular
story in my family. Also you may want to give Flinstones vitamins. Good luck!