Practical Parenting Advice Online Parenting Course

Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
5 year old daughter - problems at school.

Can anyone help? I was called in to school regarding my 5 year old daughter (primary 2). She is causing problems at school ... making silly noises/singing at inappropriate times, and almost seems so be trying to get herself in to trouble whenever possible. She has an older brother and a younger sister, and for the mostpart is fine at home, like any 5 year old she has her moments!! She is the most mischievous one out of the 3. but isn't a problem for me at home. The school doesn't seem to know what to do next, although I find it hard to believe that this is the worst behaviour they have ever encountered with a child. They are suggesting either referral to and Educational Psychologist through the school, or to a Clinical Psychologist through our GP. Both my husband and I feel this is a bit overkill for the type of behaviour mentioned, but feel rather alone in trying to find help and support.

Any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Linda

Re: 5 year old daughter - problems at school.

sounds like the school cannot cope does she get told of etc at school for her bbehaviour

Re: Re: 5 year old daughter - problems at school.

Hi Kerry.

Yes she does get told off at school.. they tried her on a sticker chart to reward good behaviour, but with very little success. I just don't want her getting labelled at 5 years old as being a problem all the time. I'm looking around various sites for ideas etc. I know a few people who have had more severe problems with their child at school (different schools) and didn't get much help from the school their child attended. In every case the problems were sorted out by the parents with very little input from the schools concerned. So I am not convinced that I'm going to get much support from my daughter's school atall to be honest.

Linda

Re: Re: Re: 5 year old daughter - problems at school.

looks like it chin up keep looking on net . wonder if some thing has started this of a school new teacher new kid at school etc

Re: Re: Re: Re: 5 year old daughter - problems at school.

She's at the same school, no new classmates, but has a male teacher this year. We'll have a few chats over the weekend, nothing too heavy, just trying to get to the bottom of it all - September holiday, so off 'til Tuesday after today which gives us a couple of extra days!!

Linda

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5 year old daughter - problems at school.

Linda

I wonder if she is just bored and does this to amuse herself. I really think schools sometimes overreact to things like this, it could very well be she doesn't respond well to the teaching style but it always seems to be the child at fault never the teacher. A competent teacher should be able to manage this sort of behaviour in my humble opinion.

You are right it is not the worst behaviour and it might just be a lack of maturity. See the pyschologist but I am not sure if it will make a lot of difference, he/she might be able to give you some tips however or put your mind at rest. She still has some settling in to do so give her more time. Nagging her at home is probably not going to do much.

If things don't improve and she is going to be labeled I would think about another school which is more supportive.

Re: 5 year old daughter - problems at school.

I have to say that I think the school is being a little heavy handed. They are only young children and every child is different.

My daughter has a boy in her class (Year 1) who is so naughty and spiteful, yet nothing seems to be done about it.

My son has just started in reception class and he has no concentration span whatsoever and he drives me mad with all his silly noises all day long and the fact that most of the time he seems to be away with the fairies. I explained this to school on the first day and they said all children were like that and he would just settle down in class when he was ready.

I think you should remind yyour school of the fact that your daughter is a normal active 5 year old, who is not being naughty or spiteful to other children and that you feel they are being a bit too the top with the way in which they are dealing with it.