Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help

I have two boys aged 9 and 7. The 9 year old has problems learning, but is an ace chap and a real trier. The 7 year old, is very bright and will often manipulate the 9 year old, however has now started on a self-destructive pattern. He will not join in with things, saying that he is stupid, he often will refuse food, saying that it would be better if he died. I know that he is seeking attention but it is so hard because when you try to play with him he will say don't bother with me, I don't deserve anything. When he is in a good mood which is getting less and less now, he will try to get rewards for everything. If he comes to the shops he will say, if i am good will you buy me something. He also has been held back a year at school, due to the fact that although he is capable he will not demonstrate it. HELP PLEASE, ANYONE ELSE HAS THIS PHASE?

Re: Help

this is so sad, and so alarming for you too i am sure. i think you need to talk to your health visitor about this urgently. he sounds very depressed and depression is a chemical change in the body not just a state of mind. It is unusual for a child his age to express death wishes. He may need counselling and possibly a short course of anti depressants to bring him back to a stage where he can see beyond this awful time of his life. I am sure you are doing all you can to help him. I hope he gets better soon.big hug for you ... i am sure you need one xx

Re: Re: Help

Thanks for your reply. We had him on his own this weekend, and using the 5 week plan from the website for the strong willed child we have made a commitment to follow it. I must say that after only 10 mins he did seem alot better. I know that it is only attention that he wants, but because he tries to get it in such a negative way we all ignore him so he tries even worse things such as the death wish line. I realise that I have to give him attention. To be fair to him he has had a fairly odd year, my husband has MS and although you would not know it too look at him, earlier this year he had a really bad attack and the boys had to see him in hospital for 2 months unable to feed himself, speak or ago to the toilet. So it's not surprising that he may be a little affected by it all. Thanks again for your support!XX