Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I need help with feeding

I"m trying to loose the bottle that my daughter falls asleep with at nap and night. She is 21 months. she is constantly eating solid food and shows little to no interest in a bottle after her meals except after dinner and will drink about 6 oz of milk in the morning and about 10 at night. She has lost interest in a bottle at lunch. But when it comes time to go down for a nap or sleep she wants a bottle with milk. I know she has to have a least 16 oz of milk a day and she does. I have tryed braking the bottle and explaning to her that its gone. I have tryed putting an oz less in it each time but she just cries to the point where she can't breath and is throwing up. Any ideas to what I should and shouldn't do?

Thanks
Deanne

Re: I need help with feeding

I had a similiar problem with my son with a sippy cup that went on for a long time, he wanted it every night for bd and I began to notice the consequences in his teeth. We decided that the best thing was to keep reinforcing what a big boy he was and every day we would go through the sippy cup cabinet and one a day I would give it to Michael and he would leave it outside at night for the sippy cup angels to take to another little boy or girl that needed it. Before long there were no more sippy cups and the first night he asked for it I reminded him that HE gave them to the angels for other little boys and girls, he cried for the first night or two but then realized he gave them away and couldn't get them back. He is using a regular plastic cup with some water in it at night and I find it full in the morning. Its a crutch more than anything and now when we are out and he sees a little boy or girl with a sippy cup he asks me if maybe that one was his, and I would say it might be, look how happy you made that little boy. And he feels good about it. Worth a try,.

Re: Re: I need help with feeding

My daughter took her bottle at nap time and bed time. She started chemo at 14 months. I hadn't taken her bottles yet. The doctors wanted me to take the bottles before she started chemo. I did, the day before. I gave it back to her at the first chemo treatment. I couldn't stop the needles but I could give her the bottle. She finished chemo when she was 20 months old but had to go through tests for three more months. When she was 2 years old I tried to take her bottle. It was terrible. She cried until she had the hiccups and her face was red and spotched.
I bought her some Disney princess cups with lids and strays. She would tip them over and spill her juice. We got ants real bad. She still took her bottle at nap and bed times. One morning I took all of her bottles and hid them in the utility room. I told her the ants took them away to feed their babies. She didn't even whimper. She asked if they would bring them back. I told her she was a big girl and the ants had alot of babies to feed. To this day MaKayla doesn't like ants.

sorry but I don't understand how your reply would help me loose the bottle that helps her get to sleep. She drinks from a sippy cup durring the day its just at night.

Thanks

Maybe she will just grow out of it. My son did, I never made an issue, who sees the bottle anyway? I'm sure it doesn't do any more harm than sucking a thumb. And if it gives her comfort why rock the boat and upset her? Give it a few months then maybe try something else, perhaps as part of her bedtime routine you could read her a story and give her some juice in a cup instead? She may see it as a treat as opposed to taking something away she enjoys.

Good luck and don't worry, kids have their comforts for years, I think I was about 11 when I stopped sucking my thumb!

You poor soul. I would stop trying to do it for a while and let her have it, then try again. She is maybe reluctant to give up her babyhood habits just yet. The sucking on the bottle is soothing for her. My son had a habit of having a cup of milky tea in his bottle way past two years of age, but it wasnt a big part of his day. He just used to insist on it and lie down twirling the silky label of his teddy bear for a few minutes! It just went quite naturally when I let him pick a spouty cup in a design he liked. Then I hid the bottle! The spouty cup was like a half way point and he didnt crave it so much. Dont be put off by what other mums do. There is always some nauseating star mum who potty trains her baby at 18 months (day and night) and makes everyone think they're failing. For now, if I were you, I'd grant your little one a break from the struggle then try a new strategy.

thank you everyone but I decied to go cold turkey. I gave the bottle to our dog and I told Kayla (my daugter) that the dog has your bottle and the dog took off with it upstairs, and of course Kayla followed but I"m faster I took the bottle from the dog and hid it and I told kayla that the bottle is gone not more bottle that she was a big girl now and drank out of a cup. So the first night without the bottle she cried non stop for 1 hr and i went up there and remined her that the dog took the bottle and was gone. She went to sleep and has slept fine without a bottle ever since.

Thanks.