Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
School Bus Fears

My son just started Kindergarten and has a real fear of the bus. This first day of school he was not on the list to drop off and consequently was driving around on the bus and the driver had no idea where to drop him, finally, thank God for school ID that he literally came to my house and beeped, while I was racing from the busstop, my son is getting off the bus in total fear and bawling. Understandable. Now each morning when I try to get him on the bus he won't go at all, today between myself and the busdriver we were able to get him on and I promised I would meet him at school. I did, and the driver said as soon as he saw me he burst into tears. The teacher and principal have been notified as well as the transportation department but no change. He is fine when he gets to school he loves it, I just have trouble getting him there. My heart goes out to him and I feel so bad. Anyone with any insight how to calm him and get him over this??? Please help. PS he has been in daycare/Preschool since he was 4 months old so it's not as if he hasn't been away from me before. I am at a loss.

Re: School Bus Fears

My daughter, MaKayla, started headstart this year. She always wanted to ride the bus. The first day I took her and let her ride the bus home. The second day the bus was supposed to come and pick her up. We waited and waited. When it didn't show up, I took her to school. She seemed to loose confidence in the bus and driver. We taught her, her phone number, address, and Mommy and Daddy's full names. We told her if something happened to tell a teacher or aid all her information. She gained confidence and rode the bus without problems. Then they got a new bus driver. His name is Charlie and he is a man. My daughter's sobbing words. I called the teacher and explained our problem. She said she would see what she could do. The next morning MaKayla and I talked with Charlie. He gave her a sucker and told her she could be his girl pal. MaKayla also takes a picture of Mommy and Daddy to school. When we wait for the bus, at the bus stop, we play Mother May I, and Simon Says. She wants to ride the bus now.