Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My Daughter doesn't want to spend the week end with me

About three weeks ago my 8 year old daughter was crying missing her mother so much that I had to bring her home early from our weekly visit. I have had her every week end since her mother and I divorced 6 years asgo and before that I was a stay at home dad and was her primary care giver. All of a sudden she says she doesn't feel comfortable at my house, it's not me it's that she misses her mom and doesn't want to spend the night.
Any advice? Her mother and I have found a child phycologist to help my daughter talk about things

Re: My Daughter doesn't want to spend the week end with me

hey,
i know it must be really hard but im sure its nothing personal towards you, maybe she is just going through some changes or difficulties in her life and wants some stability and 'comfort' right now which is maybe why she wants to stay at home. Sometimes you just need your mummy! a psychologist sounds like a great idea to help your daughter work through her issues, there may be things she needs to talk about that she doesn't feel comfortable sharing with either you or her mum. In the meantime, just let her know you are there for her and love her and in time im sure she will go back to her old self! good luck

Re: Re: My Daughter doesn't want to spend the week end with me

I totally agree. Children go through all kind of stages at every age. I'm sure it's nothing personal either. My daughter goes through days where she wants only me and some days she wants her dad. You can't take it to heart. And I also agree that a psychologist is the right answer. I wish you the best of luck in getting things sorted out! Take care!