Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lonely at High School

My son has just started high school after being a very popular and settled child at primary school. He is so lost and lonely and has spent every night crying because he has no friends in his form, though he has gone with many from his own primary school. He is in a good form for his subjects but utterly miserable because he cannot find a way in to existing friendships within his form. He finds that the Year 9, 10 and 11 children elbow and shove him in the corridors between lessons and he is desperate for a friend to walk with and talk with. It would make the world of difference to him. Maybe I am too close to this problem because everything I suggest seems to do no good. I find myself worrying as much as him, too. Help

Re: Lonely at High School

Well i guess it is still early days so it is the settling in period but as a mother it would be breaking your heart.

Could your son get involved in some after school activities like sport, debating or chess. Could you ask some kids over from school or have a small party or a dvd night. Alternatively could you invite some of the parents including the kids over for lunch or dinner. Make it a family event. This could help your son to build some friendships outside the school environment.

Hope he makes some friends soon I am sure he will he just has to find his niche.

Re: Re: Lonely at High School

Thank you for your reply. You're right - it is early days. It has just been such a colossal shock to him and tonight is the first night in nearly two weeks that he has gone to sleep without crying and getting out of bed repeatedly. The funny thing is, it has been a hobby today that has done some good! He won't stay for after school things yet (he's desperate to get out of the place asap), but he has scored his first ever goal for his junior league football team this evening. A collective family whoop for him and big sigh of relief. I am very grateful for your interest in his situation and everything that you suggest will be hopefully tried over the coming weeks. thanks again.

Re: Re: Re: Lonely at High School

Karen I am glad things are a bit better. I really understand how you feel, as mothers it breaks our hearts when our children are sad. Your son sounds like a great kid, I am sure he will find his way quickly especially once he gets more involved in school activities such as sport. Wishing you all the best