Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
step children

My husband and I have been married two years and our situation at home has not improved. His son at the age of 13 continually throws tantrums, backtalks, they fight and pout constantly. He thinks I should be able to help this situation. His son also sleeps with all the lights on and the tv and constantly roams the house at night eating drinking watching tv. Whats the answer? Im about to give up.

Re: step children

I am not a step parent myself but the situation sounds intolerable. Can he stay with his mother for awhile to give you a break? Maybe counselling could be another option to consider.

Re: Re: step children

He cannot stay with his mother. She calls all the time. That is all she does. She continually tells him she will come get him and then never shows up. She takes no responsibility for the child but she tells him to lie and curse his father. She actually controls his mind by telephone. She considers this doing her motherly duties. We have seeked counseling but he just said that wasnt what he wanted so his dad quit taking him. His dad has a lot of guilt about the divorce and he tries to ignore the fact his son has problems. I do not know what to do for the situation. I dont think my children should have to put up with this behavior, when I will not allow them to misbehave especially without apologizing.

Re: Re: Re: step children

Margaret, I wish I could be more help to you but I am out of my depth here. Just sending you cyber hugs. I couldn't stand what you are going through. It really is up to husband to step up with the discipline and I would probably broach the counselling issue again, as I worry it is going to have a big impact on your marriage if something isn't done. I hope things improve

Re: step children

When my dad married my step-mom 18 years ago we put her thru hell. I was 18 and my brother was 16 and we weren't going to come in second. He usually choose my brothers side instead of hers...........I was away in college most of the time. My brother hasn't turned out to be much and my dad can hardly stand him.......Luckily I out grew it before to much damage. I have repeatly apoligize to her over the years. It was all about attention. My dad should have put his foot down and kicked our butts. Hang in there my dear it will be well worth it in the long run and hopefully he out grows this soon. Just don't get walked on and stand your ground. Good luck