Return to Website

Vintage Sears Garden Tractors

I've locked this board so it is available for reference only. The active forum for the site can be found here:       http://vsgt.aforumfree.com/index.htm

Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
transaxle seal leaking '68 Sub. 12

Transaxle rear outer is leaking on my Suburban 12 (1968), I have received parts from Searspartsdirect including the seal and a bushing. Now it is time for help, how do I do this. Must I split the transaxle case or is there a easy way. All help is appreciated.
Thanks JOHN

Re: transaxle seal leaking '68 Sub. 12

1. Jack up tractor and support safely.
2. Remove rear tire.
3. Remove hub from axle. This may require some type of puller.
4. Polish axle until shiny with emery cloth or fine sandpaper.
5. Drain oil from transaxle.
6. Using a seal pick or a small screwdriver, pry seal from housing.
7. Very carefully slide new seal over clean shaft into transaxle housing bore.
8. Tap into place with a flat tip punch.
9. Refill transaxle with oil.
10. Reassemble remainder componants.

Re: Re: transaxle seal leaking '68 Sub. 12

Steve
Thank you. I have already done No. 1,2 and 3 and will proceed following your steps. Thanks Again
John

Re: Re: transaxle seal leaking '68 Sub. 12

Steve

Followed your directions and it work like a charm. Any idea as to what oil (eg Hypoid 75-90 or 80-90W) to use in the transaxle.
Thanks again

John

Re: Re: Re: transaxle seal leaking '68 Sub. 12

The manual calls for straight 30 wt. I put 80-90 wt. in mine several years ago.
I hope that this helps.

Re: Re: Re: Re: transaxle seal leaking '68 Sub. 12

Steve
That just what I did put 80-90 W in it. Finished it up today and so far it is working fine. I jsut cut some lawn and had it running for over an hour. What a machine./.// It sure does take a lot of oil in the ransaxle, so far I put in 4 quarts........
Thanks again
John L

Re: transaxle seal leaking '68 Sub. 12

seal leakage on the six speed transaxle is either a bad seal or a worn axle bushing. Jack the tractor, pull the wheel and hub, check for play on the axle up and down if you have play, pop the seal out and drive a new axle bushing in pushing the old one further in. first measure the inset of the old bushing snd drive the new one in the same distance. Protect the new seal with card stock and drive it in. You can only do this once on each axle before you run out of room.