Return to Website

Vintage Sears Garden Tractors

I've locked this board so it is available for reference only. The active forum for the site can be found here:       http://vsgt.aforumfree.com/index.htm

Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
fuel pump

my day has a GT model # 917.257080 this machine runs, but seems not to want, or does not get gas. I have noticed air bubbles going into the in line fuel filter. Is this normal???? I can not find a fuel pump for this masterpiece....can the fuel pump be rebuilt?????.......help

Re: fuel pump

Remember-Don't go by the tractor but go by the engine. Is it an Onan engine?? If so you can still get the pump thru Onan. I think Sears still may carry the Onan parts also when I last looked. All they do is order it from Onan engines. My two Sears GT 18hp and 19.9hp are Onans. All Onan parts are expesive but check and see. Hope this helps. Bill

I have seen tractor owners convert their tractors over to electrical fuel pumps. I've never done this myself because I focus on original restorations, but can see the benefit to using this on a working tractor.

Post a message on the Sears Garden Tractor Group on Yahoo if this idea interests you. I believe several there have done the conversion.

Ister,

If you have "AIR" bubbles in your fuel " FILTER" then it can not be your fuel pump, I would look and make sure 1, you have fuel in the tank, 2, make sure your rubber hose fuel line going to the tank does not have " DRY ROT " cracks in it. If it does you will suck air and fuel at the same time.

thanks fellows. my dad's masterpiece is now up and running and cutting. I replaced some fuel lines, but I removed the oil filter cover and there lay the villan....the little inline gas filter!!!! Dad had somebody work on this tractor last summer and he had put a new inline filter on it up near the carb, so I just assumed, lol I punched a hole in the wire screen and she is running great. I will not leave the filter like that if I can find a new one. Thanks again for all the input.......ister