Return to Website

Vintage Sears Garden Tractors

I've locked this board so it is available for reference only. The active forum for the site can be found here:       http://vsgt.aforumfree.com/index.htm

Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: looking for points

Kohler engine points for the K series are the same thing if you take them off the little mount..now as for the pin, you might be able to fashion a Kohler one to make it work...

Re: looking for points

Just do without the points and use a Nova II Electronic Transistorized Ignition Module. It is very easy to put on. I have 3 Sears garden tractors and I have done 2 of them this way and they run perfect. Just make sure you plug the holes up where the points was or you will have a major oil leak. Google this product and you can find more info.

Re: Re: Re: looking for points

If you have a machine shop nearby they can make you a rod. Or, if you're like me and have a lathe and a horizontal mill in your basement you can do it yourself!

Re: Re: Re: Re: looking for points

If you can located a set of points, run a coil like a kohler has, or if you have the points set up, you should be able to convert to electronic ignition like you do with the old B&S engines..Its a little module that goes inbetween your points and coil and tells it to fire...Ive never converted to this...I myself would buy the kohler points, mount them, and then either make a new points rod, or try a kohler one..Or you convert to electronic ignition from the 1967-1979 stuff from any of the 8hp and bigger sears tractors....it will work if you get all the right stuff..

Re: Re: ? jason

could you give more detail how you rig it up
i was told by the guy at the lawn mower shop i couldnt use this if i have a cdi coil ?
as of now i dont have a coil that runs off the flywheel and the coil that was on it when new was bolted to the outside of the flywheel
any help is welcome

Re: Re: Re: ? jason

Yea if your coil is under the flywheel the Nova will not work. The two that I have done has the coil on the outside of the flywheel on top. The coil under the flywheel is very hard to find. I got another tractor that has that type and it went bad. I finally found one after 2 months of looking. Sorry I was no help.