Return to Website

Vintage Sears Garden Tractors

I've locked this board so it is available for reference only. The active forum for the site can be found here:       http://vsgt.aforumfree.com/index.htm

Vintage Sears Garden Tractors
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
3 pt plow question

Hello all,

I have an SS12 with a 3 point that I'm getting ready for spring. Previous owner parted out the 10 inch 3 pt plow. I'm missing the triangular piece that the top link connects with, as well as the cross bar that the lower arms connect with. Would someone be willing to take measurements of their plow and send them my way so that I can begin making the missing pieces?

I made a 3pt to sleeve hitch adapter last spring and used a sleeve hitch plow, but with that the rig gets pretty long. I think a 3pt hookup would be a lot shorter and easier to handle.

I love using the old girl, with wieghts and chains (haven't gotten bar tires yet) it pulls like crazy!

Thanks in adavance,

Doc Nelson
Bellevue NE

Re: 3 pt plow question

The triangular part is 4 7/8" wide at the bottom, 1 1/2" wide at top. It is 12 1/2" tall with a 7/8" hole 3/4" from top of part. The part also has two holes where it connects to plow beam. If you have any further questions I will try to answer them. Happy Plowing!!

Steven,

Thanks so much for that, I've started building the piece. My next question is the dimensions of the "drawbar" arms, or the ones that the lower lift arms connect with, diameter, length from the plow beam, how far back from the upper plate?

Sorry to have so many questions, but I've plowed enough with old Deeres and pull type plows to know how important proper geometery of the plow is to pulling easily and doing a good job. I'm trying to get this one as close as possible, so that it'll be easy to set.

Thanks again,

Doc

Re: Re: 3 pt plow question

Steve,

One more measurment, from the point of the plow share up to the bottom of the beam.

Thanks,

Doc

Re: Re: Re: 3 pt plow question

Hey Doc I will check tomorrow and let you know.

I got some info for you Doc. First of all you may want to go to the Sears parts web site to see if this is the same as your plow. The address is http://www3.sears.com Under #2 model number type in 917.253020 go to diagram that is my plow. If you are standing behind the plow the rod that the arms hook to is 6 1/8" out from the beam on the right side and 8 3/8" on the left side. The rod is 7/8" but the ends are turned down to 5/8", 1 9/16" from each end. The rod is 90 degrees to the beam. Now if the plow is sitting on level ground there is an 11 degree slant on the rod, left side is the highest. It looks like they used one single rod drilled the beam at 11 degrees and welded rod in.The rod center is 5 3/4" back from front end of beam. You can see in diagram there is braces from beam to rod. Now for your other question the plow point is 11 3/4" down from the beam,and is set back 1 1/2" from end of beam. I hope this helps if you need anything else let me know.

Re: Re: 3 pt plow question

Steve!

Thanks so much for the information. I apologize for taking a while to answer and thank you, lost my mom last month and it's been a difficult time. Thanks for doing the measuring and research, I'm back at work in the garage and hope to get this built and welded together this month.

Thanks again!

Doc Nelson