United Fruit Historical Soceity Discussion Board

United Fruit Historical Soceity Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
United Fruit - Milbank - C.I.A. ties

Samuel R. Milbank graduated from Princeton in 1927. "After three years with Brown Brothers & Company, he joined the investment banking firm of Wood, Struthers & Winthrop. He was a partner of the firm for more than 35 years, and chairman of its board of directors from 1969 to 1972." He was an officer in U.S. Naval Intelligence in World War II. He was a trustee of Barnard College from 1950 to 1979 and chairman of the board of trustees from 1956 to 1967. He was an officer of the Milbank Memorial Fund from 1934 until his death. (Samuel Milbank, 78, Banker Who Helped Many Charities. New York Times, Jan. 5, 1985.) He married Marian Livingston Wetmore, a daughter of Robert Carryl Wetmore of Santiago, Cuba. She was a great-granddaughter of Anthony Rutgers Livingston. (Marian Wetmore Becomes A Bride. New York Times, Jan. 10, 1934.) Her father was superintendant of the United Fruit Company's farms and railways in Costa Rica, including thirty or forty large banana farms. (Gossip Gathered in Hotel Lobbies. New Orleans Times Picayune, Oct. 11, 1899.)

His brother, Robbins Milbank joined McCann-Erickson advertising agency in 1930. From 1941-1944 he managed the San Francisco office of Young & Rubicam, and returned to McCann-Erickson in 1944. He was appointed vice president in 1945. (Hillsboro Man Agency Executive. San Mateo Times, Dec. 29, 1945.) His first marriage was to Mary Lightfoot. His son, David Lightfoot Milbank, graduated from Princeton in 1951. He was a Foreign Service officer assigned to Zagreb, Yugoslavia. (Sally L. Thomas, David L. Milbank Marry in Jersey. New York Times, Sep. 27, 1959.) David L. Milbank was on active duty with the U.S. Army from 1951 to 1957 and was a Korean War veteran. In 1957, he transferred to the active reserve in military intelligence and retired as Lieutenant Colonel in 1982. From 1957 until his retirement in 1985, he worked for the C.I.A. in the Directorate of Plans, the Directorate of Operations, the Office of National Estimates, the Directorate of Intelligence, and the Intelligence Community Staff. While working for the C.I.A. and later for various private defense contractors, he published several articles on international terrorism." (The Thacher News, Fall 1999/Winter 2000, Volume XII, Number 1. Obituaries p 56.)

Robbins Milbank's second marriage was to Helen Paull Kirkpatrick. He was a retired executive of the McCann-Erickson Advertising Company. "During World War II, the bride was Geneva correspondent of The New York Herald Tribune and London correspondent for The Chicago Daily News. Later, she was correspondent for The New York Post in Paris and Washington before going into Government service." She was assistant to the president of Smith College. (Helen Kirkpatrick Married in Capital. New York Times, Jun. 30, 1954.) She was sent to Europe as a foreign correspondent of the Foreign Policy Association in 1931. She was public affairs advisor to the Bureau of European Affairs at the State Department, and head of the information departnment of the ECA in Paris. (Chairman Named by R.C. San Mateo Times, Feb. 4, 1957.) She was a daughter of Lyman B. Kirkpatrick of Rochester, N.Y. She was also on the Harvard University Board of Overseers. Robbins Milbank died in 1985. (Helen Paull Kirkpatrick Papers, Smith College); Lyman B. Kirkpatrick Jr. of the O.S.S., later inspector general of the C.I.A., was her brother. Robbins Milbank was a director of the Asia Foundation (Peninsulans See New Asia Chief. San Mateo Times, Jan. 28, 1957), which admitted to receiving funding from the C.I.A. (Asia Foundation Got CIA Funds. New York Times, March 22, 1967.) He was west coast director for the Institute of International Education until retiring to New Hampshire in 1962, where he joined the New Hampshire Charitable Fund as executive director. (N.H. Charitable Fund Engages Executive Head. Nashua Telegraph, Feb. 11, 1966.)

http://www.smokershistory.com/Chase.html#Samuel_R._Milbank

Re: United Fruit - Milbank - C.I.A. ties

Very interesting information Carol! I'm reading several books just now which tie in with the information shared. Given the very convoluted and obscure URL of this forum, I seriously doubt that this forum is easily found by webcrawlers and search engines. The pages are also not coded to make the site relevant.

I will quote some of this info as it is very useful. ¡Gracias!