United Fruit Historical Soceity Discussion Board

United Fruit Historical Soceity Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Doing project on UFCo. Would like primary sources

If it's possible to find any of the newspapers that UFCo used as propaganda to create an image of Arbenz a communist, could I be directed to them?

Re: Doing project on UFCo. Would like primary sources

Hi Dennis,

Do you have a source that claims that the company used newspapers as propaganda in 1954? If so, they should list the newspapers that carried these advertisements or articles. Microfilm of most major newspapers are available at research libraries, you may have to get them through interlibrary loan. United Fruit was Boston-based and well-connected there, so a Boston newspaper might have carried something. On the other hand, if they wanted to influence politics, a New York or Washington paper is a good bet. Please post on the forum if you find something.

-ir

heres a times article from 1954, talking about "communist guatemala". however it does not give evidence about united fruits direct influence.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,823407,00.html

If my memory serves me right, Thomas McCann mentions in his book An American Company: The Tragedy of United Fruit, that Edward L. Bernays had close ties with New York Times, and that he used these in the campaign.