United Fruit Historical Soceity Discussion Board

United Fruit Historical Soceity Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Broader exploration of United Fruit/Agribusiness impact on LA development

Greetings Ian -

I would be interested in speaking with you sometime regarding a new program of study the University of Florida is attempting to launch. "Agribusiness in the Americas" combines our historic strengths in Latin American Studies and Agricultural Training. A specific focus for research will be the impact that agribusiness had, has, and will continue to have on the development of Latin America. We anticipate drawing on our exceptional library collection as well as new sources we are pursuing/securing.

I did make an attempt to contact Marcelo Bucheli exactly 2 years ago today (coincidentally), which was after I had spoken with dozens of UFers, but just prior to the outlining of the proposed new program. I never heard back from him. In a recent conversation with Tom McCann, he inquired if I’d ever attempted to connect with Bucheli. Prior to trying Marcelo again, I decided to try to reach you.

I hope you will send me an email or give a call to discuss this potential new program. Your feedback would certainly be welcome. At the same time, I can explain more about the network of contacts I have amassed in the past 3+ years – which may be of interest.
My email = jromero@uff.ufl.edu
352-392-9418

Thank you. I look forward to hearing back.
JBR

Re: Broader exploration of United Fruit/Agribusiness impact on LA development

Hi Janet,

It was great to make contact. I hope you will keep us updated on how things go. Your message may be of interest to other forum readers and I encourage anyone else to post messages relating to materials or resources that might be useful to an "Agribusiness in the Americas" program.

Best,
Ian