United Fruit Historical Soceity Discussion Board

United Fruit Historical Soceity Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PURPOSE OF THE FORUM

Hello, please use this forum to post questions relating to the history of the United Fruit Company, its "Great White Fleet," or any other aspect of production and distribution of bananas from Latin America.

If Marcelo or I cannot help, it is likely there are others out there who can.

-ir

Re: PURPOSE OF THE FORUM

I was surprised that your bibliography does not list "Bananas" by Peter Chapman, Canongate, NY, 2007.

Re: Re: PURPOSE OF THE FORUM

Thanks for the message about the fact that we are missing some of the most recent published works on the company. We should be updating our bibliography and book summaries fairly soon. Sometimes, readers have written their own summaries and submitted them to us. We are usually happy to post these, giving full credit to the author.
-ir

Re: Re: PURPOSE OF THE FORUM

Two books for the bibliography:

The Great White Fleet by John H. Melville (Vantage 1976)

An American Company: The Tragedy of United Fruit by Thomas McCann (Ed. Henry Scammell) (Crown 1976)

There is also a very good article about the Company's ships that was published in the mid 1970's in an issue of Naval Institute Proceedings.

Interested in knowing why ships built after 1938 for the Great White fleet are not listed. they were noted for their grace and good lines

Hi Midge,

This is simply because we have lacked time to do it. These ships were listed in the company annual reports, which have become increasingly difficult to locate. We hope to get around to doing this.

-ir

Hello Ian;
I am searching for additional documentation concerning my Uncle Patrick Rowan, a U.S. citizen, who was a school teacher for the United Fruit Company in Puerto Barrios, Guatemala 1912-1930. I have photos from the Baker Library, Cambridge, MA. indicating his presence there, as well as a passenger record from the U.S. Ellis, May 13, 1912, Puerto Barrios to New Orleans, LA. I will appreciate any and all assistance. Thank you.
Patrick