United Fruit Historical Soceity Discussion Board

United Fruit Historical Soceity Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
United Fruit Company Photograph Collection

Hello.

In the master's degree in Cultural Studies at the Faculty of Social Sciences of the Universidad de los Andes, we are runnig ahead a research on the interdisciplinary study of historical memory. To this end, we have taken as a case study the so-called "Banana Plantations Massacre", which took place in Ciénaga (Magdalena) in 1928.

In my case, I am interested in investigating the role of images in representing and legitimising a historical fact. For this purpose, I am going to the different archives and institutions that have photographic material related to the event or the actors involved. In that vein, I would like to know if you have any photographic material about the work of the United Fruit Company in Colombia (Ciénaga). If so, I would like to know how I could access to this metarial.

Thank you for your attention and I look forward to hearing from you.

King regards.

Adriana Vera Aguilera
Magíster en Estudios Culturales
Universidad de los Andes
Interdisciplinary Latin American Memory Research Network (MemoriAL)
https://lamemory.wordpress.com/
(+57) 3118390835

Re: United Fruit Company Photograph Collection

Adriana,

If you've received no answer to your post you can email Professor Marcelo Bucheli now at the University of Illinois - Champaign Urbana. He created the society but is now busy with his teaching. He is Colombian. I don't think anyone is monitoring this blog. Good luck.

Manuel Knight
in Washington DC

mbucheli@illinois.edu

Re: United Fruit Company Photograph Collection

Manuel, thanks for the information. I'll write to the professor Bucheli.

Greetings

Adriana