United Fruit Historical Soceity Discussion Board

United Fruit Historical Soceity Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Minister of Agriculture for Carlos Castillo Armas

Hello!

My grandfather was Minister of Agriculture under Carlos Castillo Armas. During the administration of Julio César Mendez Montenegro, he was forced to escape Guatemala with the aid of the U.S. government. My grandmother, father, and uncle soon followed my grandfather to the United States. My grandfather passed away in 1993 and my father and I are trying to piece together what we can of his time in Guatemala. Unfortunately he never was able to write much about his life and of course his business records had to be left behind when he escaped Guatemala. However, though my father was a teenager when he left Guatemala, he has always been very interested in my grandfather's work, and, as my father grew older, he tried to learn as much about it from my grandfather as he could. We are almost positive that my grandfather shows up in the records of United Fruit Company and we wanted to post this message to see if any of you who have studied the history of this company have come across any mention of him. Thanks and we look forward to the conversation!

Best,
J.A.

Re: Minister of Agriculture for Carlos Castillo Armas

My grandfather's name was Carlos Ricardo Rummler Kiene. Upon further discussion with my father about my grandfather, he said that though my grandfather MAY have been Minister of Agriculture sometime between about mid 1954 to the time of Carlos Castillo Armas' assassination in 1957, he was definitely the Director of National Farms (Directór de Fincas Nacionales) in that period. My father also remembers that my grandfather did much work with Standard Fruit after 1957 until Standard Fruit's departure from Guatemala towards the end of 1962. We think that he would show up as a representative of Standard Fruit (and perhaps also as one of the buyers himself) when United Fruit Co. sold its Guatemalan holdings to Standard Fruit and Guatemalan entrepreneurs in 1958. Where can we find the records of these sales? Thanks!