Return to Website

FAPI-Africa's Forum / Le Forum de FAPI Afrique

Bienvenue a notre Forum. Sentez- vous libre de poster un message en Anglais ou Francais.

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message in English or French.

FAPI-Africa's Forum / Le Forum de FAPI Afrique
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
It is also important to consider other factors that can contribute to the well being of a population

This message refers to the article in French we published in the Congovision site (http://www.congovision.com/forum/bukasa1.html) for the people of the DRCongo. The article entitled “ The key to development in Africa? Here it is” will soon be translated in English and could be read on our web journal.

Your project is praiseworthy. Development is before all a financial question. However, let ‘s not forget that economic realizations hold place of the psychological processes and the mastering of market mechanisms. As a rule, the efforts by the World Bank and the IFM were orientated towards the adaptation of the production systems and services in Africa and more, particularly in the DRC, to the liberal-market. On the other hand, these institutions do not have the means to influence the psychological processes or philosophical thoughts of the Africans.

The failure in the economic revival of Africa and the Congo originates from the fact that the economic philosophy is deeply attached to the traditional values. Those tend to support collectivism rather than capitalism.

A Congolese family that would receive $45,000 will first think of buying all good things that it never had the luck to posses. It will invest in ostentations and distribute the rest to relatives. It is not only a family behavior but politicians as well. How do you explain that in a country with an average of $5 monthly income per person, we have ministers rolling in brand new Mercedes. I live in Australia, which is much richer than Congo, and the prime minister drive a Ford. On the other hand, if you give $45,000 to a family in Belgium, France or another developed country, 7 out of 10 recipients will certainly invest in stocks or assets. Families in Europe are capitalists. They live with the notion of fructifying what they have; They have the notion of production. It is not about financing the individual. Unless a “ Mukongo” or a “Mundande”, it is difficult to make a difference between “profit” and “capital”. Congolese are just going to use the capital and go bankrupt.

The proof is during the “Zairianisation” process. Mobutu allowed Congolese to inherit assets for production from foreigners. I had a friend who received a petrol station. I remember that he was collecting money everyday and using it on drinks. When Mobutu reversed the situation, the station was about to close.

Your idea is good, but I think that development is more complex then we think. Development starts with the philosophical ideas of a community. The capitalism has developed “economic rationalism” as basic thought for their economic model. The economic values of capitalism are different from our traditional values. They teach capitalism, we think collectivism. It pursue profit maximization, we want social realizations. So, when the world Bank and the FMI ask to the government to close companies that are bankrupt and reduce the number of public servants for more services performance, Africans shout and point fingers to the west.

I encourage you in your initiative, but I think it is also important to consider other factors that can contribute to the well being of a population.

Boke

From Australia

Country/Pays Australia