Non-Traditional Student Bravenet Forum

The Message Forum is a place for Non-Traditional students to get answers and explore all kinds of subjects with other Non-Traditional students.  Feel free to post new threads and new subjects. Enjoy.

You may travel or travel back to the Non-Traditional Student website or the Non-Traditional Student Yahoo group at any time.

Non-Traditional Student Message Boards
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WELCOME and INTRODUCTIONS

Hi!

I am from Kentucky and was a non-traditional student getting my teaching certification until this year.

I am considering going back to school again to take other courses.

I welcome all other non-traditional students here. What school do you go to? Are you in the process of registering for classes?

Re: WELCOME and INTRODUCTIONS

HI! I am so glad to find this site. There is just not enough good content online for non-trads. I am considering going to college for the first time, with a desire to major in elementary ed. I am 29 and a mother, and really not looking forward to the culture shock that I am expecting to experience. Hopefully I will be able to keep a sense of humor throughout, and I hope that more non-trads will be active on this board so that we can inspire and support each other.

Hi to Mary

Hi, Mary! Welcome to the Non-Trad website. I am so glad that you found your way here.

Let me know if you have any education questions I can help with. I recently got my Initial Certification in English and Allied Arts (8-12). Now I have an online business. I haven't decided whether to teach next year or not.

I agree with you that going back to school is and was a big step for me. I don't regret it, though. I really feel like I learned a lot - and not just through my courses.

You should know that there are two kinds of loans you can get to go into teaching -- and one you can work off after you have graduated. Make sure you get the right one (ask your school counselor). If they don't have the info., write back.

I hope you can be a regular member here. We are just getting started with these forums. Soon, I hope to be able to get rid of the ads, too.

It's good to meet you!

Elizabeth
Kentucky

Re: Hi to Mary

Thanks for the welcome, Elizabeth. I am hoping to learn more about the financial options after (hopefully) being accepted and meeting with the financial aid office personnel. Because I have no college experience and it has been so long since high school, I have been told that if accepted I will need to take a placement test. I am trying to brush up on my skills, and would welcome any advice on good resources for reviewing algebra especially.
Thanks again.
Mary

Re: math help

Hi again.

If I were taking a test, I would get the Kaplan ACT, SAT, and PSAT software. It was a 2-disk set in 2001. You can buy it for probably about $15.00 on Ebay. You don't have to get the latest version either. They have simulated tests on there, and help you in your weak areas.

This is the study set I got my daughter. I also checked it out and it seemed really good.

They also (many times) have math classes at college that you can take that are remedial. They have good teachers in these - at least, they did when I took the class as a Freshman. If your score is high enough in other areas, they often will let you take this class instead of the "regular" one.

Re: Re: math help

Thanks, Elizabeth! I will look for that. I have taken several sample tests online, and fared pretty well, but for the questions that I didn't get correct, I would like to know how to arrive at the correct answer. Does the software provide explanations behind the answers, or does it just provide example question and answers? I will go look for the software right now........
Mary

Re: Re: Re: math help

Hi again, Mary.

I don't remember if they have an explanation of each wrong question or not.

I did go to Ebay today and found the software (new) for about 14 or 15 dollars.

Here is one link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/KAPLAN-SAT-PSAT-ACT-2007-Test-Prep-Software-SEALED-NEW_W0QQitemZ150117187462QQihZ005QQcategoryZ2228QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Let me know when you find something out.

Elizabeth S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: math help

Thanks for the link, Elizabeth. I really appreciate it. I decided to go to the library, and I was happy to find several Algebra books. Since I am aware that this area is my weakness, I decided it would be best to start over and relearn it. It is coming back to me, and I am excited to realize that I still enjoy the challenge. For a while I wondered if my mind was past its prime - motherhood tends to make me feel mindless sometimes! But it is really satisfying to see my success measured in black and white. I think I will enjoy this college thing after all. Thanks again for being here to keep me inspired. I am still waiting to see if I am accepted or not, so wish me luck!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: math help

Well.... did you get in, Mary? I am curious. Let me know if you did. I'm at lizann447@yahoo.com

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Thanks for the link, Elizabeth. I really appreciate it. I decided to go to the library, and I was happy to find several Algebra books. Since I am aware that this area is my weakness, I decided it would be best to start over and relearn it. It is coming back to me, and I am excited to realize that I still enjoy the challenge. For a while I wondered if my mind was past its prime - motherhood tends to make me feel mindless sometimes! But it is really satisfying to see my success measured in black and white. I think I will enjoy this college thing after all. Thanks again for being here to keep me inspired. I am still waiting to see if I am accepted or not, so wish me luck!

Re: WELCOME and INTRODUCTIONS

I hope you were accepted. Good luck -- and write back when you find out!

Elizabeth