THE OFFICIAL CHINCHILLA CHAT LINE FORUM

Welcome to the C.C.L forum. Please do not ask for veterinary advice here, as none of our advisors are veterinary practitioners. Anyone found to be spamming or swearing will have their IP address banned. Thank you.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS FOR CHINCHILLA RELATED TOPICS ONLY ANY OTHER MESSAGES WILL BE DELETED.   CCL IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR INCORRECT INFORMATION POSTED BY MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC  PLEASE ALSO NOTE THAT CONTACT DETAILS (E-MAIL ADDRESS) ARE TO BE INCLUDED OR, AGAIN,  MESSAGE WILL BE DELETED. THANK YOU!

Do visit the rest of our website - www.chinchat.net

Forum: THE OFFICIAL CHINCHILLA CHAT LINE FORUM
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
spraying urine/dominant female

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a little advice on something I didn't run accross in alot of the reading I did. I just adopted 3 female chinnies (under a year old) and each has their own personality. 1 very shy, 1 very friendly, and 1 I'll say is the protector of the 3. In her cage you can touch her but outside of it she won't be touched. I was giving the 3 treats in the cage when she reared up on her back legs and sprayed at me. I googled it and found out it's a defense and took it in stride as her being scared and the protector. Recently though I had all three out and my 5yr old was in the room. For no reason she reared up and sprayed his leg and then followed him around the room. She didn't seem aggressive but didn't seem happy. It made me nervouse so I made my son leave the room. How do I deal with this because my son didn't do anything to scare her or harm any of the chinnies. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Email  
Re: spraying urine/dominant female

Hi MJ,

You say you adopted these three little ladies. As you have observed each and every chinchilla is different. As you don't know how they were treated prior to you getting them there could be numerous reasons the one is spraying urine at you and your son. This is a protection action - as if it was two chinchillas spraying the aim it exactly the right angle to get urine into the eyes of its enemy. Even if you son has done nothing to warrant this behaviour a child previously may have scared or hurt her.

A VERY important thing to bear in mind is that chinchillas as a rule do not like being handled and as and when a chinchilla feels comfortable enough he/she will approach the keeper and perhaps sit on a foot ... this is a big deal and a sign that the chinchilla is beginning to trust that individual.

Another thing to try and bear in mind is to give treats every now and then say perhaps a raisin a week. Chinchillas naturally have a very blank diet of hay, water and pellets.

I hope this has been of come help to you. Please feel free to contact us again. Take care, Liz CCL

Email  
Re: spraying urine/dominant female

Thanks Liz, hopefully she will calm down in time and I know the previous owner had kids so that was my thought too. I'll give an update in a few days. Thanks again for the info.

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Email Forms   Free Web Tools   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com