Black Issue Forum
Join the Mailing List

Enter your name and email address below:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe  Unsubscribe

Return to Website

BlackIssue Forum

This forum is for discussing issues affecting the black community.

Get involved don't just read the comments of others; add your own opinion to the forum. 

Debate is a powerful thing; it gives insight and understanding, so join in.

BlackIssue Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
thoughts from a white guy

Now I'm sure I'll be blasted as a hateful guy, but I have some serious questions...

I'll start by saying I have no clue what it's like to be black, that's obvious. I do know a few things about race, however. My first experience with racism, even, was a mexican child telling me I couldn't sit next to him on the bus.

I also know my own heritage. I know the white men who left Brittain were unwanted based on religion, and I know my scotch-irish ancestry was seen as subhuman by the Brittish. I know my Cherokee ancestors were pursecuted, relocated and slaughters. I know my German forfathers were unwanted second, third and fourth sons trying their hardest for a new life.

Is this a resume of injustice? a catalogue for some sick contest of human suffering? quite the contrary, I am listing a narrow amount of offenses taken against a people BY another people. pointless offenses against humanity have been around forever, no single race has sole claim on race-based suffering, yet black people seem addicted to it.

My personal theory is this: the reason why the "question of race" exists is because people fail to identify primarly with humanity. If I were to ask anyone, of any background, to list five things that they identify with would I get more than 10% who even list "human."

I wonder why black people want more than 1 black person per tv show. Is it important enough to alienate your fellow man? how about the fact that America is no more than 20% of african heritage? if a tv show had 5 people, only 1 would be black, right?

why is black culture so violent? what's the point of expressing such vitriol and hatred, either musically or physically (higher incidence of physical aggresion.) is eye for an eye where we want to be? I do recognize, in fairness, that american culture itself is far too violent, and that violence sells.

why are black men such as Bill Cosby and Clarence Thomas blasted as traitors to race?

last, and what I find most personal, why are white men of today vilified? I have never mistreated a white person. could I safely walk through harlem at night? I'll admit, that is a loaded question- few people of any color could safely walk harlem at night, but I think the point is understood. Also, I recognize fully that innocent black persons are equally, unfairly vilified. I just wonder if response in kind is wise or productive.

so with these questions in mind, I leave some closing thoughts, and I want to again stress that I'm trying to be sincere.

The solution to the black issue, in my mind, is for reasonable people of both races to come together. There are literally millions of white youth who are less and less race-conscious than their parents and grandparents. Embrace us.

Re: thoughts from a white guy

Blacks do embrace whites. We have only enjoyed true "freedom" and "equallity" for 40 years.

It seems that as some make progress, others seem to be falling backwards.

America is the greatest nation in the world. We all must fight to keep it free for everyone.

Once there is balance and harmony, there will be no black thing, or white thing.

It will just be a human thing.

I guess I'll jump in here and just give my 2 cents.

This is meant in an honest tone, but not rudely.

I believe that as long as Black people want Black history month, Black Miss America, Black Cable Channels (BET), they will never be accepted fully by other races.

America is supposed to be the melting pot. Races are supposed to melt down somewhat so they can combine and be united.

The Black Culture, in my honest opinion, is so stuck on clinging to THEIR history, traditions, and all the things in history that have wronged them, that they are unable to unite with other Americans.

Honestly, Alot of white people that I know feel this way.

I have quite a bit of Indian blood in me, but I don't go around blaming my problems on the first white settlers. You can't blame history for decisions that you make in your life.

The other thing that I don't understand is why I've heard so many fantasies about white women with black men. I even heard someone say that King Kong was supposed to be about a white woman's fantasy with a black man. I had never heard of such. I don't understand it either. I know of 0 white women who have ever even hinted to as much. Now when I see black guys, I wonder if they are thinking that I have this fantasy about them. It is very strange.

So much of it just seems to be a waste to me that isn't important. We are all just people. Just my honest opinion. I know that noone will agree with it.

God Bless.

Amazing…now you are seeing what is wrong with white culture. The problem with white people I that they do not realize that assimilating does not mean take my white culture and make it your own and let yours go. Then and only then will we as whites accept you as a black. Let me begin…

I remember my first racist experience. I was in Kindergarten standing in the lunch line in front of the entire school. A little white boy came up to me and screamed nigger at the top of his lungs. He was not punished, even as I stood there humiliated in tears. And that was only the beginning. Like having to answer questions about my hair and the color of my skin, the palms of my hands, the bottoms of my feet, even my genitals. I never ask these questions to whites because I was taught not to be so rude and disrespectful by my parents. People pulled my hair from the root to see if it was real and even ran their fingernails over my skin to inform me that the reason I am brown is because I am dirty. So going through experiences such as these make me different from you. I love being me I would never change who I am or would wish to because it made me who I am and I love myself and have pride in my race.

I know my heritage too. I come from a nation of kings and queens on the forefront of technology, innovation, and culture. My people were stolen from our homeland in chains guided by whips loaded on boats where most died from suffocation and disease because we were regarded less than cattle by people who were escaping persecution from Great Britain and other European counties. For 400 years our women were raped and forced to be concubines, their blue eyed blonde haired babies were either murdered or forced to be house slaves for their own parent while beaten and tortured by their other blood relatives, our families were divided and solved to other plantations to break our spirit, marriages were not legal, we could not receive an education even to read the Bible, and we were forced to turn against each other to survive day to day. What white people fail to realize is that this ruined the entire continent of Africa to this day and this is why the black nation in America has so many problems still. This is why we are trying to give knowledge to one another to change the effects of the past to stand united to become more educated, prosperous and then we will be concerned with white culture.

I am a humanitarian. I love all people, colors, and races. And when one is down I try to see your pain. The problem with most whites is that you can not or will not identify with the problems that are at hand for me. Tell me why in 2007 am I still suffering racism even on my job? Why do I have to correct whites when they refer to me as “colored”? Why do whites still ask me if my hair is real or do I have weave? I can not grow my own hair? Is this against the law? Why is there a big concern about the fact that I am almost 26 and I am not married and I have no kids? Why am I asked when I am going to be an unwed mother? Why do they blatantly surprised that I do not live in a neighborhood that is infested with crackheads, hookers, and liquor stores?

There is a problem with television. I rarely watch it. If you have never noticed, white comedy and black comedy is different. I sat through current episodes of Saturday Night Live, Seinfeld, and your late night hosts and frankly I was not impressed. Either I fell asleep or changed the channel out of boredom. But I do not see you watching black TV like the older sitcoms that brought us together like Martin, In Living Color, Sanford and Son, The Jeffersons, Living Single, and etc. White people think they are down because they watched a few episodes of the Cosby Show and Fresh Prince of Bel Air. The issue with white sitcoms and why I do not watch them is not race. It is identification. If I can not relate to your character I am not interested in you. I do not identify with people sitting in a café drinking coffee all day acting stupid. No my life has real issues and that is what black culture focuses on. It focuses on life, death; drugs, marriage, divorce, children, friends, and career just to name a few.

Black culture is violent because again our history. This does not mean that all blacks are violent. This means that in our society we face violence everywhere. Even from the police. Yes we distrust police. Why are our young men being shot in the back and dying when booked? But it is all an accident. Why is calling for help a last resort? We need black history month because black history is not taught in schools. Is not education the point of being in school? Whites have the other 11 months. What is wrong with culture awareness? Why should we ONLY be aware of white culture? I do not understand the silliness. So does this mean that all synagogues and foreign languages and cultural restaurants would be taken out of America as well? Because this is not everyone getting along neither. Are you to tell me that my Jamaican fiancé can not speak Patois to his parents, grandparents, and our children? They can not eat curry and jerk and talk about old days on the island? So they can not know their culture neither? They can not identify with their heritage and feel like they belong when we visit Jamaica?

I do not condemn Bill Cosby or Clarence Thomas. They are great men. However, you do not need to abandon who you are or forget where you come from. When you do, bad things happen to you and you become confused. White love is fickle and they turn on you in a second if they find any reason. Prime examples are Michael Jackson and O.J. Simpson. Currently they are searching for a reason to condemn Barak Obama.

I can honestly say you are safer walking through Harlem at night then I am walking through an all white neighborhood. I am stopped constantly for a DWB (Driving While Black) especially since I have a black sports car. Why am I asked why am I in the neighborhood? When am I leaving? But this is a “free” country? I see plenty of whites walking through black neighborhoods at night. We ignore you.

This is my point. We are different. I am not asking you to accept me. I do not want to assimilate into white culture. I want to be respected as a person for our differences. That is what the melting pot is SUPPOSED to mean. When carrots and corn are thrown into a pot the corn does not magically turn into carrots. It is still carrots and corn in the same pot. Until you respect blacks we do not take you seriously or as being sincere. Why do you give your opinions without doing research on both sides of the issue? Then you expect me to change. No I will not. So my problem with white people is they are ignorant and lazy for not self educating to all cultures and nations. If you do educate yourself then you will see that we are trying to uplift ourselves. Right now there is no way we could be equal. In turn, you have no idea what it is like to be a minority so you could never understand our current daily struggle that we are trying to stop for our children.

You talk about black people. Which black people are you referring to? I am a black women. I'm sure I've been around more black people then you have. I dont know of any one who has these issues that you describe. I dont know anyone addicted to race based suffering or concerned with how many black people on tv. You say black culture is violent. It's not black culture thats violent, people are violent. Read your Bible if you want to be educated about black culture. These white youths who you say are not race conscious were never judged because of their white skin. Black people have to work harder to prove themselves in this white society just because of their black skin. You will never understand. You think things have changed for black people because laws have changed. That is not so. Like I said, you will never understand.