Black Issue Forum
Join the Mailing List

Enter your name and email address below:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe  Unsubscribe

Return to Website

BlackIssue Forum

This forum is for discussing issues affecting the black community.

Get involved don't just read the comments of others; add your own opinion to the forum. 

Debate is a powerful thing; it gives insight and understanding, so join in.

BlackIssue Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What can be done to break the cycle of drug and alcohol abuse within our communities?

What can be done to break the cycle of drug and alcohol abuse within our communities?

Our question centers on the cycle of hereditary drug and alcohol abuse.
In so many cases within our communities, our young have very little options because they are surrounded by drugs and alcohol in many cases by their immediate family. We would like to discuss this issue as we believe this self destruction of ourselves and our families is one of the main factors in many of our young not reaching their true potential.

Re: What can be done to break the cycle of drug and alcohol abuse within our communities?

I amm a person in recoevery of 15 years and I have been blessed with the opportunity to raise my son in this time and era. in order for us to survive as a community I beleive it is important for all to participate in the process of removing the glitz and glamour of streetlife, I remember ths days when we looked outfor one another. respect for elders was high and we had more aunties and uncles (extended family with additional eyes to support us as we grow into teenagers and adults. We are suffering the effect of a lost genertation to the crack epidmic. Graand mother and such are tired and older. It is now our responsibility to assume our roles as parents ,mother and fathers and take back ouor children form the streets.

Re: What can be done to break the cycle of drug and alcohol abuse within our communities?

This one question is so complex until one individual or even a community of people wouldn't know where to start. But I have an Idea.
If we are EXCLUDING our environment and parenting, which is very very hard because it plays a major role in our day to day lifestyle, then one can make the point of saying the media and most importantly education are a major fault.
In such a capitalistic society, image and status is everything. (Sidebar) A friend of mine sells drugs and he makes no less than 3k/biweekly. After he got arrested and released, he went right back into the same cycle. I asked him why! He stated "I was used to having that amount of money whenever. Plus why should I work and make $6/hr and make 400/biweekly when I can make 3k." Valid Point! When you have people who will rather make a quick buck rather than work hard and save their money, then drugs will always be available. What feelings did you get from the American Ganster movie? Were you thrilled that a black man was running things? Look at how he destroyed, abused, and raped his community for his personal gain. How can I support that! Did that movie tell a story or glorify the drug trafficking industry? Think about it! Even I wish I had a piece of that pie. 280 million!
Education is also major factor....those "Just Say No! days weren't effective and still are not, but it was and is a good concept. What we need is money and education brought back to our communities to inform our people about not only drugs but also health, sex education, finances, career development, etc.. We don't need "Just Say No!" just to pacify us....we need action....
For example, look at the major accomplishments and difference Oprah has made to those girls in South Africa. Look at what money can do!!!!!! Granted things like that need to be done in our communities here and now in the U.S. but I applaude her efforts and her actions. Take a couple of Black American millionaires or even billionaires and let then tackle one community at at a time and watch what difference they make. Our people are hungry for change, we need change, we want chnage, and we can change. Its not that hard!
Look at how effective Black leaders were in our history....Malcolm X....Marcus Garvey...Martin Luther King Jr...when these leaders preached education in our communities, not only did black people listen, but the world listened.....Gosh I could go on and on! I love my people and want us successful as a whole.

We can start by teaching self-esteem at home and demand it is taught in school and such other places like that in our communties. Have concerts with positive rappers come to diffrent locations and talk of such issues, get the communities involved, and the news, teach about our strength, LOVE we have to start practicing what we preach we just cant say do as I say not as I do that is so corny if you look around today alot of ppl parents that was on drugs and such their kids picked up the habit. We have too try NEVA MIND TRY WE HAVE TOO get to the root of the problem. Let the kids express theirselfs instead of with their thugs or fast a** friend. WE HAVE TO TAKE ACTION.