Black Issue Forum
Join the Mailing List

Enter your name and email address below:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe  Unsubscribe

Return to Website

BlackIssue Forum

This forum is for discussing issues affecting the black community.

Get involved don't just read the comments of others; add your own opinion to the forum. 

Debate is a powerful thing; it gives insight and understanding, so join in.

BlackIssue Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Morgan Freeman Says No Need for Black History Month

Oscar winner Morgan Freeman called the concept of Black History Month "ridiculous" during a "60 Minutes" interview.
Freeman feels that designating a month for Black History isolates it from American history. He said the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."
Is Freeman right? Does having a designated month do more harm than good in getting America to write Black contributions in the history books? Click "Discuss Now" to talk about it.

Re: Morgan Freeman Says No Need for Black History Month

Well i must say i am suprised at Mr Freemans comments. I do agree that black history is apart of american history. But Mr Freeman should remember that in order to go forward you need to know where you have come from.
Without black history month many black people would not know squat about their history. It highlights what we have gone through and for me gives me a sense of appreciation of what i have, and how i live.

Many have suffered in the battle for equal rights....Recently highlighted by the death of Rosa Parks. So we cannot and should not allow the memory of these ones to be forgotten

Black History month is a time for us to remember, reflect and meditate on where we are as a people.

Sorry Morgan i don't agree with ya this time

I love this site

Re: Morgan Freeman Says No Need for Black History Month

With regards to Mr. Freeman's opinion, I fully agree that it is time for us to stop being prejudice towards ourselves and implement the achievements of prominent black people into every day curriculums in history books within the school system.

It is not okay for us to only limit the successful achievements of black people to the month of February but I believe it's time to insert that pricesles information into the classrooms throughout the entire 12 months of the year. If we don't do this, then just as Mr. Freeman said, we will only continue to isolate ourselves from America and the rest of the world. We should not be afraid of change. Learning about ML King and watching movies such as Mississippi burning has become the norm during the month of February. I believe it's time for us to reinvent ourselves and catch up with the rest of the world by letting go of black history month. I don't believe it was ML King beliefs that we ought to stop at a Black History Month and become stagnant. I do not believe that it would hurt us as a people by letting go of this month but it can only propel us into something new and more effective.