Black Issue Forum
Join the Mailing List

Enter your name and email address below:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe  Unsubscribe

Return to Website

BlackIssue Forum

This forum is for discussing issues affecting the black community.

Get involved don't just read the comments of others; add your own opinion to the forum. 

Debate is a powerful thing; it gives insight and understanding, so join in.

BlackIssue Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Do you think racism has played a big part in the slow reaction of the US Government?

Do you think racism has played a big part in the slow reaction of the US Government? Would this have happened if the majority of the people affected were white?

Re: Do you think racism has played a big part in the slow reaction of the US Government?

As Salaam Alikum

Pray this message greets you all in the best health and spirit.

In reponse to your subject 'Do you think racism has played a big part in the slow reaction of the US Government?'

My answer is YES - the fact that in a country that prides it self on helping other countries, it has taken them 5 days just to get the basic to the New Orleans people and even before that what little food their were delivering they were throwing the food out of the helicopter to our people like their where dogs as one of our New Orleans sister mentioned in the news report.

I pray this has woken us up as a people, that if we do not come together as one and help each other this is how we are going to be treated when we are dependent on others for help.

My heart and prayers go out especially to our black people who are still in that situation and the families who have lost relatives, friends and properties. We will endeavour to help in trying to send monetry direct to those who are helping our people. I do feel for the other community who have also lost family, friends and properties but must of them have a better chance of recovery than our people.

God bless
Sis Sharon

Re: Do you think racism has played a big part in the slow reaction of the US Government?

Yes i do believe the slow reaction was due to the fact that the majority of people affected were African Americans. President Bush has showed his true colors. The unfortunate thing is that this was an institutionalized racist response from not just the president but the whole federal government.
I also think that Condi Rice should be ashamed at allowing herself to be used as the token black representative trying to justify what was clearly a racially motivated act. Or Non Act

Watching the harrowing scenes over here in the Divided Queendom (UK)it soon became apparent that 98% of the people being shown were African Americans. When no action was being taken to rescue them it became increasingly apparent that the authorities either didn't have a clue what to do or just didn't care. When this continued for several more days it seemed the media were more interested in reporting "looting" and the authorities only then decided to act. This gives the impression that property is more valuable than human life, or to be more specific an African life. All the cosmetic dressing in the world cannot hide the fact that our lives are not valued and that racism - despite the protestations of Condi Rice- rears its ugly head in the most unexpected places at the most unexpected times. The reaction to Hurricane katrina is just one of those instances. Oh and if the majority of the people affected had been white well the rescue operation would have happened faster than a NY minute. Simple. To all those who never knew before YOU KNOW NOW!!!!

i know it would have turned out different if the people involved in this disaster were 'high profile' and in a higher tax bracket!!!!!!