Black Issue Forum
Join the Mailing List

Enter your name and email address below:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe  Unsubscribe

Return to Website

BlackIssue Forum

This forum is for discussing issues affecting the black community.

Get involved don't just read the comments of others; add your own opinion to the forum. 

Debate is a powerful thing; it gives insight and understanding, so join in.

BlackIssue Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
interacial couples do they produce confused children

If you are mixed race please don't be mad or send letter bombs etc.... I am asking this question to provoke debate on the subject. I read an article in the NY post of all places about a study that found that 70% of mixed race children have an identity problem not knowing what culture to identify themselves with. I am just interested in what peoples thoughts are.

Re: interacial couples do they produce confused children

I am mixed race and take offence to this article. Just because you have parents from different cultures it does not mean that the child will have an identity problem. My mother is English and my dad is Jamaican I can identify with both my Jamaican and English heritage. The only time I can see this being a problem is if the parents do not take the time to teach there kids about their heritage.

No! No more then regular black americans and we are the most confused people on the planet.

To prove my point look at the quistion the you just asked. seems to me that you are the one that is confused."people or people let it go" Let it go.By the way i am black as black as they come, but i separate my self from people that are stupid.

Re: Re: interacial couples do they produce confused children

Jesse why are you being so hostile in your responce. It is obvious that the question has been asked to provoke debate, nothing more.

Lets see, this is crazy, people are people no matter whether they are mixed or what, if thats the case we are all screwed up, hell im mixed, my moms is light skin my pops is black as a ace of spade which leaves me toasty brown, never once until i came across this subject did i or anyone else of mixed companionship feel confused in life. please find something concrete to talk about. - Kredit

There are many people out there who belive that race is not a problem or never a factor. As time progress I've seen first hand that yes, people are people and MOST people have learned to move on. However given the right situation, there will be times when that child's identity will be questioned and where they might feel like they don't belong. I think some people on this forum may have been lucky to have not expierence such injustices by others; however, others aren't so lucky even if they are informed abouttheir heritage from both parents. Also it's not just the children who may be faced with this problem but,just take a look at some interacial couples who've had their identity questioned by others but somehow they managed to ignore the IGNORANCE and to live their lives the best way they can. I am a mixed female
( brown skin ) and my fiance is white.

I want to be a point of unity on this subject. I personally do not believe in interracial marriage because I would not want to have divided loyalty to Black or white. I definitely don't want to be with Whites. If I could go back into my mother's womb and be born any color I wanted, I would NOT BE WHITE. They ain't real pretty.
I am not offended by the question at all. Let me say first that those who are offended, remember one thing. The KKK, or some white supremacist group would lynch a "mixed race" just as fast as they would a "pure" Black.
Trust me, they do not like you any better than they like me. My GREAT GRANDMOTHER WAS 75% WHITE. Do you think that makes me like White folks or trust them any more? Those of you who are mixed had better wake up. In fact, we are alll mixed, just to different degrees. Remember what slave masters did to Black women, sometimes forcing Black males to watch. They are FREAKS and a SICK BREED OF MAN.
If an angry mob of whites wanted to kill Blacks, do you think they are going to let you go because you have a White mother or father. I do not understand your offense.
The main point I want to drive home is don't marry a White person under any circumstances. Somebody in their family is going to call you "nigger" and then it's on baby.
One thing I would like to interject here. NONE OF US ARE PURE. THE BIBLE SAYS in Genesis the all the FAMILIES of the earth would be blessed through Abraham because Abraham believed God. The WHITE MAN MADE RACE_GOD DID NOT. We are all only DIFFERENT FAMILIES. Different races could not have babies together. An example of different races is a DOG and a LIZARD. CAN THEY MATE AND HAVE YOUNG?
NO! NO! NO!
THE branches or BREEDS of MAN are not different races, just different breeds. A German Shepherd, and a cocker spaniel and a pit bull are different breeds of dog. They are not different races of Dog.
Africans, Asians, and whites are different breeds of man, one no better than the other. THE WHITE MAN HAD PUT THIS IN US. THE SOONER WE COME TO THIS REALIZATION THE BETTER FOR US BLACK FOLK AS A PEOPLE AS A WHOLE.
When we really come to this knowledge level, our children, our families and our lives will be full of more harmony and love. We really need to know the truth, the whole truth about how great Black people are. We need to stick with each other, give our business primarily to each other and prefer each other for financial, romance, and security. We kill each other, whatever our skin tone, more than any other breed.
We need to avoid inter breeding with Whites. We need to love our own and promote our own. We need to find and deal with Black business. SKIN TONE DON'T MATTER! That may be bad English, but I meant what I said and wanted to say it that way.
I am not racist and do not "dis" or hate mixed people, but you who were offended at Denise's question had better wake up.
Wake up Black man and woman.
CARL- DETROIT

yes i do think sum are confused,I have three mixed children. My oldest only likes my black side of the family. the other two 15 and 10 will only interact with my wife white family.And this is not a good thing in my opinion. We live in a all white area, And some of the white kids would call the kids names the n word and so on My two younger kids were blowin away by this. But i tell them not all white people are the same.Some hate you because of your skin color.And do'nt think that all white people will like just because your mother is white

This question is one to think about seriously.

Those of us who are mixed in culture, had to deak with a lot of controversy from the society as a whole.

I looked at this question from this point of view.

Whoever is the carrier of that child can be the foundation to that child's thinking in who she/he is.

I have seen caucasian women carrying a child for a black man, and that child grows up knowing only that side of the family because the balck man either gives up his identity to please her. Or he leaves her to fend for herself which means, this child will only know the mothers culture.

This is the same for a black woman carrying a child for a caucasian man. The only thing is, most caucasian men will stay with the black woman. She is his trophy to show off to the blackman to show he has conquered her.

And the blackwoman will give up her nature to think, and live in the caucasian world. That is all she knows.

Each child will see hismother as the role model, regardless to her colour. It is not the colour but the THINKING OF THE MOTHER. In both instances, the ONLY world that will accept this situation is the Caucasian world.

- How does she view herself?
- Does she feel accepted by the family of the man she is with?
- How secure is she in having a child for a man from another culture?

The child will be fed, mentally and physically from her WOMB. Until they grow up and define for themselves which 'side' they want to be on. Yes 'side'. Because the world is so divided, we have to choose a side. Or try to be 'neutral' when we can.

The child will either speak like ablack or speak like a caucasian, as and when they need to. Based who they move with and what the culture scene is like for them to survive.

Thing is we ALL do that. Depending on who we move with will dictate our attitude, dress code, etc. Many of us who are black act more white than the whiteman at times.

It is not for us to mock and point fingers, it is for us to check ourselves as to who we really think we are.

LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT.

Peace.

No do not agree. We need to stop looking out at other races in trying to answer the issue we have as black people. Would a child borne of African and Afro-American parents be confused? The cultures, rituals, values are very much "different". Whereas it could be argues an african amercian and a caucasian amercian may very much have closer cultures, rituals and values. The whole discussion is flawd and is based on a black v white hypothesis

I am a Black man married to a White European woman and we have 3 kids. 19,21 and 26 respectfully.

By the nature of today's society and the society of the past. The answer to your question; if you are asking - will an interracial couples children be confused is Yes!

They will be confused because of the way they will be treated and accepted or not by others.

We raised our children and spoke to them on the Black and White sides of their being.

But most importantly, we taught them to treat others the way they would want to be treated.

From the family forums we use to have before they went on with their own lives our children were approached at times by several nationalities about their race. Not just black and whites.

They would tell them my dad is black and my wife is white. That seem to be a satisfactory answer and 99.9% of the time that was the end of it. Or our children would go into more detail and that was that.

To this day as they attend college and raise their own children, our children still live by the motto" treat others the way you want to be treated" .

In closing, as long as there are different races and topics on the subject of race rather interracial or not - there will be debates and confusion on this matter.

Please click or copy and paste this link to see what I look like.

http://message2.myvideowebstream.com/view/?id=GDD72T2D97PLP8HMQFKN

thanks and have a wonderful day!

Perhaps we should ask the entire population of Latin American, Carribean, and the United States.

Ultimately all of us Africans in the so-called New World are people of mixed descent.

Ultimately the purity game is a losing battle. Who is pure and what does purity serve? Does it stop young black men from killing each other (see your first topic)?

The study you reference is suspect. Who was tallied? And who wasn't? Afterall, who doesn't have an identity crisis in modern America? African American across the board are struggling with how to define ourselves in regards to gender roles, sexual identity, cultural identity, family bonds, racial bonds, the future of marriage, class, political affliation.

Clearly we can't pretend we are "one thing" any more, and to do so would be political genocide. As our numbers dwindle in relation to other minority groups in this country, alliances are more important that ever.

L.

Gifted with multiculture, diverse and international.
I have work hard to encourage them to elevate their thinking. They are better than those ignorant country bumpkin, xenophobic white supremacy paranoid people.
Flexible in their approach to global issues.
Yes they are different. I have alway remind my interracial children that life began in AFRICA. All of us came from and we are proud of if
My heart and mind define who I am and my color. Thats the package. And I am proud of it.

My next romantic adventure is an Arab or a Chinese
I will create a rainbow.

I am the father of a dual heratage child, i dont think interacial couples produce confused kids. It's interacial absent parents that produce confused children. I have witnessed first hand the identity crisis my son has had but i have been there for him to help guide him but also to help him define who he is. Children who have grown up with absent parents primarily fathers these are the children that are confused. The have more to deal with, more problems fitting in, wanting to belong. Without proper guidance and help yes they could become confused about their heritage and sense of belonging

Carl you should realize that the concepts of race existed long before "black" and "white"

asian cultures were notoriously xenophobic, the barbaric tribes were recognized as german by the romans, the greeks battled with persians, who battled with jews, assyrians and egyptians. to be perfectly, brutally honest, our own african ancesters recognized themselves as different from eachother (and still do), millenia before "the white man" showed up.

if you want us, as a people, to wake up to the non-importance of race, maybe the first step is to stop stressing how important race is to us in the first place. We are all primarily human, that is how we should behave, first and formost. the concepts of race, like you say, are incidental, and should be cast aside.

heritige is one thing, teaching your children of the past is a good idea. to teach the any sort of hate or divisiveness that is justified by their skin tone or genetic inheritance is another thing, and abominable.

Hey Nat
I saw what you wrote, and I definitely agree. However, despite the teachings and guidance from both parents there are those who still question whether or not mixed children are part of "normal" society. There are those who may feel that a child who is mixed is not "black enough" or not "light" enough to belong to either race. Nowadays, it has become more accepted but in corporate America, for example,those who are mixed are not classified as being "one of those blacks" and those who appear white in skin color may be more acceptable in corporate america because they do not "look black at all."