Return to Website

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon

Please ask your historical question below, you can write in either Welsh or English. You will receive your answer in your chosen language.

Please do not ask family history questions, if you are researching your family tree or are trying to find lost relatives, please use the Caernarfon Message Board.

Your questions will be answered by Local Historian T Meirion Hughes

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Skinner street fire

Dear Mrs, Slater,
I am grateful to you for drawimg my attention to this error on my part. At the time I recorded from memory, that which I had read in the C.& D. Herald of 1934 and, unfortuately, did not re check the source of the information, before replying to the questioner.

However, my fellow columnist in Papur Dre, the Welsh Community Paper for Caernarfon, Mrs Margaret Wyn Roberts, the present Mayoress, wrote an aritcle which appeared in the June issue of 2009. She had interviewed Mr. John Flynn, who was the 12 month old child who had been saved from the fire of 1934, and she does indeed mention that appart from the six year old Rhiannon who died in the fire, your great grandmother also was a victim, having slipped from her son's arms and died later of her injuries.

I trust that you will accept my apologies for supplying incorrect information and that the above now clarifies that which happened on that eventful night.

Regards,

T. Meirion Hughes

Skinner Street

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember a shoe factory/shop in Skinner Street as well as a printer. Are we talking abou the same place?

Re: Skinner Street

Thank you for your query. I am told that this was a tannery and not a shoe factory and I am arranging with a relative of the owner to have an article published on this site giving full particulars. Check back soon.

T. Meirion Hughres

Re: Skinner Street

The history of the Tannery, Skinner Street is now on "Did You Know", the last on the list.

Regards,

T. Meirion Hughes