Return to Website

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon

Please ask your historical question below, you can write in either Welsh or English. You will receive your answer in your chosen language.

Please do not ask family history questions, if you are researching your family tree or are trying to find lost relatives, please use the Caernarfon Message Board.

Your questions will be answered by Local Historian T Meirion Hughes

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Edward Griffith

Do you have a record of Edward Griffith, Mariner, drowned at Menai Strait early 1900?

Re: Edward Griffith

Regarding your query, this sounds to me like the death of a relative which comes under "Family History" questions and should in fact have been placed on the Caernarfon Online Message Board.

No, I do not have any information regarding the drowning of this individual and the first thing I would advise you to do is to try and find his actual date of death through the Registrar of Births Marriages and Deaths or the Burial Register and if death took place in the Caernarfon area, then that would be the Caernarfon Office at the Old Arfon Council H.Q. Offices. The certificate will cost you £7 and if the office has to do searches to find the actual date of death there will be a surplus charge.

Having found the date of death, the next step would be to check local newspapers, such as the Caernarfon and Denbigh Herald, for the period following the death to see whether there is an account of a Coroner's Inquest. These can be found in the Archives at Victoria Dock, Caernarfon.

At the Archives also there are actual reports of Coroners' Inquests, and if, as you claim death occured in the early 1900's it is highly likely that you may well be advised to try these first and thus save time.

T Meirion Hughes