Return to Website

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon

Please ask your historical question below, you can write in either Welsh or English. You will receive your answer in your chosen language.

Please do not ask family history questions, if you are researching your family tree or are trying to find lost relatives, please use the Caernarfon Message Board.

Your questions will be answered by Local Historian T Meirion Hughes

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
vintage streetsign

Hello there,

I bought an old enameld street sign with the words "Aber bridge River Rhaiadr Fawr" and the sign of the british automobil club (with an eagle)
Wo knows the age and the meaning of these board, which shows the grafics on both sides?
Regards from Munich/Germany
Benedikt

Re: vintage streetsign

Viele Grusse aus Wales,

Thank you for your query. I regret to say that the Aber Bridge referred to has nothing to do with the Aber Bridge, Caernarfon that was officially opened on the 1st of March 1900, but if it a translation you wish then it would read as follows: The bridge at the mouth of the river Large Rhaeadr (cateract or waterfall).

The meaning of Aber is "Mouth of a river" and there are many of them in Wales Aberystwyth, Abergafenni, Aberporth etc.etc. As a Caernarfon Town Historian I an not conversant with all the Abers in Wales, but as a long shot I would think that this is in Mid Wales as there is a town called Rhaeadr near Llandrindod Wells.

I am sorry not to be able to help you further,

Regards,

T Meirion Hughes