Return to Website

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon

Please ask your historical question below, you can write in either Welsh or English. You will receive your answer in your chosen language.

Please do not ask family history questions, if you are researching your family tree or are trying to find lost relatives, please use the Caernarfon Message Board.

Your questions will be answered by Local Historian T Meirion Hughes

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
THe sportsman market garden

Mr Hughes.
I have found in my research a connection in my family to a market garden owned by the Bennet family in Caernarfon. The garden was called the "Sportsman" market garden and was on Waterloo port. Any information you have would be greatly recieved. I am a great fan of your website. May I also wish you belated birthday wishes.
Val John

Re: THe sportsman market garden

Dear Mrs. John,

Yes, I do remember Mr. and Mrs. Bennet. The garden was right opposite the private housing estate, Llys Meirion, but their shop was at the top of High Street, near the Town Clock. In pre WWII days and well into the 1950's there were three Greengrocer shops very close to each other.

Bennet and Lodging Hall were directly opposite each other and Derlwyn Jones just around the corner in Palace Street.

Mr. Bennet was reasonably tall and slender and had wavy black hair and Mrs. Bennet, a very smart woman with ginger hair.

I suggest you visit "Caernarfon Traders" a website run by my friend and fellow historian, Keith Morris. All you have to do is insert these two words into Google and click on the site showing List of Trades and then click on Greegrocers. This should roughly give you an idea of the peiod they were in business.

Hope this helps,

Regards

T. Meirion Hughes

Re: Re: THe sportsman market garden

Mrs. John,

Having checked the "Caernarfon Traders" website, I find I gave you the incorrect information. Philip Benest is the name of the person running the business and it comes under "Florists" not "Greengrocers".

Sorry about that,

TMH