Return to Website

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon

Please ask your historical question below, you can write in either Welsh or English. You will receive your answer in your chosen language.

Please do not ask family history questions, if you are researching your family tree or are trying to find lost relatives, please use the Caernarfon Message Board.

Your questions will be answered by Local Historian T Meirion Hughes

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alexandra Road llandudno

Hi, I am trying to find out whether 54,Alexandra Road Llandudno is still there or has it been knocked down. Also does anybody have any idea if there was a hotel in this street in the year 1920. I am trying to trace my great grandfather who lived at this address and it is recorded on his wifes death certificate, however after continues searches it appears he has never being a resident (strange).

Re: Alexandra Road llandudno

Firstly let me again remind you that I am a Caernarfon Town historian and Llandudno is 30 miles away, so I am not conversant with its geography to that extent.

However, in 1950 my wife and I stayed at a hotel called the ALEXANDRIA and I remember it was off Mostyn Street, the main street in Llandudno and on the way to the promenade. As far as I know, that was NOT the name of the Street. It was just around the corner from Mostyn Street and very central.

Furthermore, I phoned my friend (an ex policeman) and his wife who have lived in Llandudno for over 30 years and they had never heard of an Alexandria Road.

There is a Record Office in Lloyd Street, Llandudno and I suggest you write to them. They are the people most likely to be able to help you. Another source of information would be the Gwynedd Family History Society (Aberconwy branch)and the address of the secretary is: Mr. J.B. Jones, 7 Victoria Road, OLD COLWYN, Conwy, LL29 9SN.

The GFHS will answer queries from people who are not paid up members and as your question is one regarding your own Family History they are the people you really should contact.

Regards,

T. Meirion Hughes,
Caernarfon Town Historian