Return to Website

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon

Please ask your historical question below, you can write in either Welsh or English. You will receive your answer in your chosen language.

Please do not ask family history questions, if you are researching your family tree or are trying to find lost relatives, please use the Caernarfon Message Board.

Your questions will be answered by Local Historian T Meirion Hughes

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mountain Street/Pentre Newydd

I was wondering when the original houses in Twthill were cleared and the current houses built. Was it part of a general "slum clearance".

Do any photographs of the original houses exist?

Kind regard

Stuart

Re: Mountain Street/Pentre Newydd

Hi Stuart,

I am afraid I am at a loss as to where you are referring to. Would it be the houses in the old Twtil Square where now there are flats for the elderly? All I can tell you that this area was called Mount Pleasant Square when I was a lad in the 1930/40's. Mountain Street, to the left of the Square still exists and is definitely no 'slum area' in this day and age. There are old photos available and I suggest if you are so interested you request copies from the Caernarfon Record Office, Victoria Dock, but I have to warn you that you should be be prepared to pay £11 for a single photo. 7" X 5".

Yours truly,

T Meirion Hughes,
Resident Historian

Re: Re: Mountain Street/Pentre Newydd

Hi,

I'm referring to the houses on Mountain Street and Tanrallt. My family lived there from 1841. I visited last weekend for the first time and I was told prior to my visit that the houses to the right (looking up Mountain Street) had been demolished.I was just interested to know if the houses on the left were original to the area.

I have a picture of house in Mount Pleasant area taken in the late 1800's I presume, however the houses there now look more modern. The slum clearance I refer to I was told happened at about the turn of the last century, it was not a comment on the area in recent times.

Thanks for the warning about the prices. I may try to source them another way.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Stuart Fellows