Return to Website

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon

Please ask your historical question below, you can write in either Welsh or English. You will receive your answer in your chosen language.

Please do not ask family history questions, if you are researching your family tree or are trying to find lost relatives, please use the Caernarfon Message Board.

Your questions will be answered by Local Historian T Meirion Hughes

Ask a historical question about Caernarfon
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cottage hospital

In 1920 there was a hospital known as the cottage hospital in i think llandudno, can anyone please tell me where about it was located? is it still there? and if not what has replaced it. Hope you can help thank you.

Re: cottage hospital

Hi,

I have not heard of a Cottage Hospital in Llandudno, though there may have been one there, but as a Caernarfon Town Historian, I can assure you that there was one in Caernarfon. It was a red bricked building in St. David's Road and was built in 1900 through public subscription. Shortly after the National Health Service came into being in 1948 it became known as The Eye and Cottage Hospital and eye operations were carried out there until a special unit was opened in Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor in the 1970's. It remained as a Cottage Hospital for some years afterwards until it was eventually closed down, and new houses were built on the site about 10/15 years ago.

I do have a photo of the old hospital a copy of which I can send you offline.

Regards,

T Meirion Hughes